Was born in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, July 13, 1802. He was the youngest of a family of three children. His early educational opportunities were quite limited. At the age of twenty-four, he came over to Ohio, and settled in Mifflin township. He married in Lancaster. Mr. Charles was engaged for many years in farming. He owned the farm upon which Martin Ruffner had settled in 1812, consisting of one hundred and sixty acres, near the village of Mifflin. He exchanged this property, a few years since, for the Kauffman mill property on the Black fork, some three miles southwest of Mifflin. This is one of the best water mills within the county, and is kept in constant motion. Mr. Charles has a large circle of friends, and has been repeatedly elected to township offices by the citizens of Mifflin. He has served as justice of the peace, and acquitted himself to the satisfaction of all. He was originally an old line Whig; but on the disbandment of that party after the campaign of 1852, he became an upholder of the principles of the Democratic Party. He has passed through all the scenes of the early pioneers, and retains a vivid recollection of the "rough and ready" habits of the early settlers of the Black fork. He has aided scores of the settlers in the erection of cabins, in rolling logs, at corn husking, and other gatherings. He has assisted in opening and improving most of the highways in the north part of the township. He is genial and agreeable to all, and a friend to the poor. He is the father of six children, four of whom still survive, three residing in Mifflin Township, and one daughter in Indiana. Mr. Charles is a member of the Pioneer and Historical society of Ashland County. He is yet vigorous and cheerful.