John Coble born in Wayne County, Ohio, in 1825, came to Ashland County with his father when four years old. He learned the blacksmith trade with John Moulter, in McZena, and worked at his trade seven years. In 1850 he went overland to California, where he remained about a year, engaged in gold mining. He met with success, and during the year cleared about fifteen hundred dollars.
Then he returned to Wayne County, Ohio, where he bought fifty acres of land. He remained there three years, and was engaged in blacksmithing. In 1854 he came to Ashland County, and purchased eighty acres of land, the same now owned by John and George Smith, and remained there about two years and a half, and then went to McZena, where he remained three years and worked at his trade.
Then he returned to Wayne County and purchased one hundred acres of land, and at the end of six years again returned to Ashland County and purchased one hundred and twenty-two acres of land, the same now owned by Jacob Kayler, and at the end of two years bought the farm on which he now lives, from Calvin Parker. For twelve years he has held the office of school director, has been township trustee two years and supervisor several years. He is director of the Washington Township, Holmes County, fire and lighting insurance company.
In politics he is a Democrat. In 1851 he married Sophia Kantzer, who became the mother of seven children, and died in 1875. In 1876 he married Rebecca Horn, who is the mother of two children. The names of his children are: Samuel deceased, infant, deceased. Margaret, Saloma, Sophia C., John G., Clementine, Elza A., and an infant, deceased.+