Joseph D.Stubbs was born January 6, 1820, in the village of Middletown, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania. His father was of pure English stock, and his mother of French extraction. In 1828, when he was a lad of eight years, his mother moved to Ohio and settled in Wooster. At the age of fifteen years he was apprenticed to Messrs. Spear & Beistle furniture manufacturers of Wooster to learn the trade. At the expiration of his apprenticeship in 1839 he moved to Loudonville and engaged in the furniture trade for himself. In 1840 he was married to Mary Jane Gray, daughter of Rev. David Gray, a well-known and highly esteemed Methodist Episcopal minister of Wooster. In 1843 he removed with his family to Ashland, where he has resided ever since. He first engaged in the cabinet business, having his shop and warerooms in a building on the corner of Second and Church streets which, until within a few years, was one of the old landmarks. While engaged in business, he studied law as a means of self improvement, and was admitted to the bar during the sitting of the first Supreme Court in Ashland. In 1850 he engaged in the boot and shoe trade with Mr. Joseph Wasson, the firm name being Wasson & Stubbs. He continued in this business until 1859. In response to the call of Governor Dennison at the outbreak of the war, he offered his services and was accepted. He was commissioned lieutenant and regimental quartermaster of the Forty-second Ohio volunteer infantry, at the very beginning of the organization of that regiment, under Colonel James A. Garfield and Lieutenant Colonel L.A. Sheldon. He served with his regiment until November 1862, when he was appointed captain and assistant quartermaster for meritorious services, and ordered to report to General Garfield in Washington City. Soon after he was ordered to report to General Rosecrans, and was assigned to duty at Nashville, Tennessee. In 1864 he was ordered to establish a depot at Johnsonville, on the Tennessee River, where he remained until March 1865, when he was transferred to the department of North and South Carolina, and assigned to duty at Raleigh, North Carolina. Soon after he was made superintendent of military railroads with headquarters at Newbern, North Carolina, and continued in that responsible position until the roads were transferred to their owners. As a recognition of his services during this time, Captain Stubbs was brevetted lieutenant colonel, and in 1866 was assigned to duty with this rank, as chief quartermaster of the Department of the South. In 1877 Colonel Stubbs was appointed to duty in charge of the work of locating and improving the soldiers’ cemeteries throughout the southern sates. Under his direction cemeteries were established at Newbern, Raleigh, Saulsbury and Wilmington, North Carolina, and at Florence and Port Royal, South Carolina. The cemeteries at Marietta and Andersonville were improved under his direction. Colonel Stubbs’ time of service covers a period of seven years. His record as a faithful and efficient officer is a highly honorable one, as is evident from the sketch of his long service, even after the war had closed. Like many other soldiers, Colonel Stubbs found himself without a business when he returned home in 1868. He soon obtained a position, however, as general agent of the Ashland County Mutual Fire Insurance Company, a position which he holds at present. Colonel Stubbs is a man of untiring energy, and a public spirited citizen, and holds an esteemed place among his fellow citizens. His family consists of four sons and two daughters. The eldest daughter, Elizabeth, is the wife of J.I. Dorland, of Ashland; the oldest son David Stubbs, is secretary of the Oriental and Occidental Steamship line, and resides in San Francisco, California; the second son, John C., is general freight agent of the Central Pacific Railroad, and resides in San Francisco, California; the third son, Joseph E., is editor of the Ashland Times; the fourth son, William M.G. has charge of the mechanical department of the Times Office; the second daughter May, is a teacher in the public school of Ashland.
contributed and transcibed by Russ Shopbell email@example.com