James A.Offineer was born near Yellow Creek Lake, in Kosciusko County, Indiana, June 23, 1849. His parents were of French and German descent. His father followed carpentering and saw-milling until the war of the Rebellion, and in 1864 was drafted, at which time the family was scattered, a sister and brother going to Ashland County, Ohio to live with their grandfather, James Offineer, sr., until the return of their father from the army. James A. and his mother lived in Indiana until the spring of 1865, and then went to Michigan, where his mother was employed as chief cook by John B. Dumont, the owner of a large mill and lumbering establishment at Allegan, and he worked as chore boy and shingle edger, and at the latter occupation he became quite expert, having at one time edged twelve thousand five hundred shingles in five hours. In November, 1865, they met his father in Allegan, Michigan, and a few days later, returned to Ashland County, and, with his brother who had remained there, settled in Mohicanville, where his father worked at carpentering and shingle making until James became of age. He then attended school three and one-half terms, when his health became impaired and he was obliged to give up study for the time being. On the fifth of November 1871, he was married to Anna B. Carmack, of Perrysville, James Monrow and Mary Esterbrook being married at the same time. The ceremony was performed at the house of J.S. Carmack, by Rev. O. Webster, of the Methodist Episcopal Church of West Salem. The winter following his marriage he went to Fulton County, Indiana, accompanied by his wife, where he taught one term of school with good success. In the spring they returned to New Salem, Ohio, where he engaged as book-keeper and superintendent for J.S. Carmack, who conducted a brickyard, a farm, and did plastering. It did not prove a good move as his employer failed and he lost the amount due him for nearly six months labor. January 1, 1873, they removed to Jeromeville, where he attended a select school, and in the spring engaged in carpenter work and shingle-making. In October 1875, he again attended school for a year in order to prepare himself for teaching. At the close of a year he again commenced teaching, attending select school during vacations, and now makes school teaching his business. In 1870, he joined the Disciple Church at Jeromeville, and in 1872 his wife was transferred to the same church from the Baptist Church at Perrysville, which she had joined in 1870. The have three children: Mary Orrilla, born January 1, 1873; Theresa Laura, born December 27, 1874 and George Arthur born September 18, 1878.
contributed and transcibed by Russ Shopbell firstname.lastname@example.org