Was born in Brooke County, Virginia, November 19, 1785. In 1813 he enlisted with the Brooke county soldiers to serve in the northwest part of Ohio; but before seeing active service the war closed. He entered the east half of section thirty one, in Clearcreek township, Richland county, in the spring of 1815, and came on with a hand and erected a small open cabin, and returned about the middle of the summer, after having prepared a few acres of new ground for corn, and brought his family. His was among the first families who located in Clearcreek, the families of Robert McBeth, James Haney, John and Richard Freeborn, and William Shaw having arrived about the same time. When Mr. Huffman first landed he found large numbers of Delaware and Wyandot Indians encamped along the stream, engaged in hunting and trapping. After a few weeks they returned to Sandusky. In the fall they came on again. A large and well-worn trail passed near his cabin. The hunters passed up and down this trail on their way to Wooster and Pittsburgh, on their trips to exchange furs and peltry for lead, powder, tomahawks, knives, clothing, and “white men’s fire-water.” There were two burial spots on the farm of Mr. Huffman, one near the modern site of his barn, and where one Mr. Mykrants erected a residence, east of the Savannah road. In their hunting excursions along the streams of Clearcreek, they frequently stopped at these cemeteries, and seemed to mourn the departed. Mr. Huffman was careful not to disturb the last sleeping place of their braves. It was his custom to feed the Indians when they called at his cabin, and by doing so he won their esteem. They never disturbed him, although they passed in large numbers until about 1822. Mr. Huffman was a large, energetic and thorough-going man. His land contained a splendid sugar camp, and the second year he made enough sugar to complete his payments on his farm. It sold at the trading points at eighteen cents per pound, in cash. For three or four years his toil was constant, for, when not engaged in leveling the forests on his own premises, his services were freely given to aid his neighbors in erecting cabins, rolling logs and the like. The timber of the native forests of Cleercreek was very dense and exceedingly tall. To prepare fields for tillage, therefore, required much hard labor and toil for a number of years. Mr. Huffman, in his prime, possessed uncommon endurance. In a few years he had a model farm, and was surrounded by all the comforts of the thrifty agriculturist. He resided on his homestead until his family had grown up and became somewhat scattered. He had been foremost in encouraging the common schools of the township, in erecting public highways and in support of houses of worship. He was always ready to aid the needy, and was the foe of every species of vice. In his intercourse with his neighbors, he was frank and outspoken. He was an active member and official of the Methodist Episcopal church for over fifty years. He removed to Ashland in 1848, disposing of his farm, and died October 19, 1860, at the age of seventy-five years. Mrs. Huffman died in 1862, aged seventy-three years. The family consisted of Zachariah, Susan, Abraham, Benjamin, John, William, Mary Ann, Sarah Jane, Daniel, and Perrin. Zachariah, Abraham, John, William, and Sarah are dead, and the balance of the family are very much scattered.
contributed and transcibed by Russ Shopbell email@example.com