Was born in Berks County Pennsylvania, June 27, 1813, and came to Ashland in 1836.
He had learned his trade at harness making and as a saddler in Pennsylvania.
When he first came to town he worked in the shop of Hugh Davis about three years, and started a shop of his own, and has continued in business since the year 1839.
For the last ten years he has been engaged in carriage trimming, at which he is a fine mechanic. He was married to Miss. Mahala Swineford, daughter of George Swinford, in 1842.
His family consists of Charles, George, and Clara, and three boys dead. Charles Clara and George are married.
Mr. Ilgar is much respected as a citizen, and has frequently been elected to the town council and other offices.