There is a book on Perry township available from the society
Perry Township 199 pp. $18
Send check to Ashland County Chapter OGS
PO Box 681 Ashland, Ohio 44805-0681
Ohio residents add 6.25%sales tax
Shipping for 1 book $3.50
- Trinity Evangelical
- Old Rowsburg - Smalley
- A new book by the Ashland Co Chapter OGS will be released in June 2000
called "Church Records of Ashland County, Ohio, Volume 1". Here is a
listing of churches in the county, first by township, and second, by
denomination. The book includes a short history of each church and actual
records from selected churches.
1. Mount Hope Presbyterian - or Muddy Fork Church was organized in 1820
out of several Presbyterian families who had been meeting since the close
of the War of 1812.
2. Methodist Episcopal Church, Rowsburg was organized in 1822 with 12-15
3. English Evangelical Lutheran Church, Rowsburg was organized in January
1842 by Rev. W.J. Sloan and Rev. A.H. Myers.
4. Evangelical Association (Albright) - called Immanuel's at Lafayette (Red
Haw) - the class was formed in 1830, by Henry Zimmerman, John Betts, Henry
Kiplinger, Henry Shaffer, Nicholas Shaffer, Mr. Swaisgood, and George Walkey.
5. Evangelical Association (Albright) - called Zion's in Moore's (Morr)
neighborhood (Trinity Society) - White Church - Rev. Mottinger organized a
class in 1832 with Andrew Morr as the first class leader.
6. United Brethren, Rowsburg - served by Rev. Crubaugh and Rev. Dillon in
the early 1860's.
7. United Brethren, Lafayette - in the northern part of Perry Township was
also served by Rev. Crubaugh and Rev. Dillon in the 1860's.
8. United Brethren Bethel was located on the farm of David Swartz near the
south line of Perry Township.
9. Reformed and Lutheran Meng's Mount Zion Church - In a deed dated 6 Aug
1829, Philip and Mariah Meng sold 2 acres in the SE 1/4 Section 33, Perry
Township, to Henry Jackson and Conrad Friedline, trustees of the German
Lutheran Church and the German Reformed Church.
10. Red Haw United Methodist Church - This church is located in the NE 1/4
Section 3, on the southeast corner of CR 1100 and CR 175.
11. Rowsburg Evangelical (German) - They met in homes from 1832 until
abandonment in 1871.
12. Shaffer School Evangelical (German) - This group, noted in the
Lafayette Circuit in 1866, was located three miles west of the Trinity