HISTORY OF LOUDONVILLE
FROM 1814 TO 1914
Price 25 cents
A BRIEF CENTENNIAL HISTORY OF LOUDONVILLE, OHIO
Written and compiled by J. M. HEYDE, M. D.
Assisted by the following committee
SELAH STRONG * A. ULLMAN, SR.
W. S. FISHER * CHARLOTTE STEWART
NED L. RUTH * Jos. WHITNEY
A BRIEF OUTLINE OF ONE HUNDRED YEARS OF
THE HISTORY OF
1814 LOUDONVILLE. OHIO 1914
EARLY in our history, when we were yet a part of the Old Northwest Territory, and previous to settlement by the Aryan peoples, that part of Ohio which we now occupy was inhabited by another race-the American Indian-and previous to their occupancy we have every reason to
believe, there lived here a still more numerous, powerful and civilized race of men-the Mound Builders-who have
left their indelible marks in the various earthworks, fortifications, mounds and cemetery sites-monuments which
number at least 10,000 in Ohio alone, and several of which are within short distances of our town. All speculation
and discussion of this ancient race, we must regard as foreign to our present task.
However, a short consideration of the American Indian-the various Ohio tribes-as being the immediate
predecessors and relentless foe of the pioneer settlers of Ohio, merits a brief consideration. During the 18th
century, there were resident within the borders of the State of Ohio, at least six distinct Indian tribes, as follows:
Wyandots, Shawnee, Ottawas, Mingoes, Miamis, and Dela-wares, the latter tribe alone occupying the Muskingum
Valley. This tribe has been awarded a higher place by Cooper, the novelist, and Heckewelder, the Moravian missionary, than general history would seem they deserve. Heckewelder has preserved a Delaware tradition, that
many hundred years ago, the Leni Lenape resided in the western part of the American continent, that by slow
migrations they at length settled eastward on the Hudson, Potomac, Delaware and Susquehanna rivers, making the
Delaware the center of their possessions and from which they derive their name.
Contact with the colonists of New York, Pennsylvania and Maryland by degrees forced them westward and by
1740 we find them, by invitation of the Wyandots, locating in Ohio, around the head-waters of the Muskingum, with
their capital at the confluence of the east and west branches of that river-where now is situated the city of Coshocton.
In this territory they lived, grew and flourished and became a powerful nation capable of mustering 900
warriors and having a total number of nearly 3000 souls. The Delaware nation was divided into the Turkey,
Turtle and Wolf or Munsie tribes, the latter being the most warlike, and residing on the west branch of the Muskingum
-the Walhonding and Mohican rivers. The principal chief of the Wolf tribe was the relentless foe of the whites-the warlike Captain Pipe, or, in the Delaware tongue, Hob-o-can.
This chief was at first friendly, and history records that at the time of landing of the Ohio Company's Mayflower at the site of Marietta, Captain Pipe and his warriors were encamped on the east point, he and his
warriors warmly welcoming the adventurers to the Ohio country. This was in 1788; yet how different was the attitude of the Pipe and his tribe in 1791, when at St. Clair's defeat he said he "tomahawked white men until his
arm failed him." He was born in Pennsylvania about 1740, but when or where he died, history does not surely record. From 1778 to 1800 he was the warlike spirit of the Delawares. He it was who opposed the pleadings of
the missionary, Heckewelder, and the peace chief, White Eyes at the council of Coshocton, when Heckewelder and White Eyes pleaded that the Delawares remain neutral in the Revolutionary struggle then on. So great was the
Pipe's hatred to the American colonist, and so warm his love for his Catholic French Canadian, that he split his tribe, and he with his followers Joined the British in Canada and fought side-by-side with the English redcoats
against colonial independence. After the final peace, in 1783, he, with the remnant of his tribe, returned to their old hunting ground-the head-waters of the Muskingum- our immediate vicinity. He at this time resided at a town
of his own, called Pipestown, located about three miles southwest of the present village of Jeromeville, Ashland County. Pipe also resided a part of his time at Helltown, a small Delaware village on the Clearfork, in Hanover Township, about three miles southwest of Loudonville.
This town was small and was abandoned in 1782, after Crawford's expedition against the Sandusky Indians. On
Crawford's approach, although not near the town, the Indians, becoming alarmed, fled farther north and the next
year (1783) erected Greentown, on a prominent bluff over-looking the Blackfork. The town was located about three
miles west of the present village of Perrysville, on the farm now owned by Mr. H. P. Royer. This became an
important and well chosen town, the river on the south facing the bluff, while to the north and almost surrounding
it, was an almost impassable alder swamp. The advantage of such a position can well be appreciated when it is re-
membered that practically all Indian travel was by water, while their natural enemies-the whites-traveled mostly
The village contained a large bark council house and about 150 cabins. It was on the south branch of the old
Duquesne-Sandusky trail, which passed about one-quarter mile to the north. Thos. Armstrong was the chief, and
Johnnycake, Tom Lyons, Billy Dowdee and Thomas Jelloway were well remembered and eccentric Indians.
The village was burned in 1812, its destruction being the immediate cause of the Copus and other massacres in
Ashland County. Captain Pipe-a surly, unfriendly Indian-late in his career fully realized the futility of resist-
ing the advent of the whites, and mildly submitted to the inevitable. He, also, was taken west with the Delawares
and never again returned to the Mohican hills he loved so well.
Of other Indians, there were about 150 Connecticut Mohegans-the last of the Mohicans-who resided with
their chief, Captain John, about eight miles north of Loudonville, near Mohican. The town was called Mohegan
Johnstown. From this town and tribe the Mohican river and the village of Mohican derive their names. Of
other Delaware towns, we may mention White Woman's Town on the Walhonding, deriving its name from a white
woman, Mary Harris, a Delaware captive who lived there. Cos-hoc-ton, where Coshocton now stands, as before said,
was the Delaware capital. Here lived and ruled succes- sively Chiefs Shingiss, Netawatwees, Bockonghelas, White
Eyes and Killbuck. Up the Tuscarawas branch a few miles was Chief Newcomerstown, and farther north on the same
stream, near the present village of Bolivar, Stark County, was the village of Tuscorora, a large and populous town
in 1761, when Christian Post attempted to establish a mission here. It was in existence as late as 1763, when
Colonel Rogers returned from Detroit, but was soon after abandoned. Beaverhatstown was south of Wooster and
Killbucks town, on the site of Holmesville, Holmes County. On the Jerome fork of the Mohican was Jeromestown,
named after Jean Baptiste Jerome, a French fur trader residing here. This was on or near where Jeromeville
now stands. Custaloga, Eagle Feather and Big Cat were other well known Delaware chiefs.
Through our immediate vicinity passed a number of Indian trails. The main one was the south branch of the
old Duquesne-Sandusky trail. This was the main east and west thoroughfare from Fort Duquesne, now Pittsburg, to
Sandusky and Detroit. Its general course was from about two miles south of Wooster, west through Wayne County,
north of OdeIVs and south of Long Lake, west through the Workman settlement, along Lakefork to about one-quarter
mile north of Loudonville, where it skirted south of Bald-knob and on west up the Blackfork through Perrysville,
north of old Greentown, on up the Blackfork through or near Spring Mill on to Sandusky and Detroit.
This was the main east and west overland route of travel,-the route taken by Colonel Rogers and his troops
on their return from Detroit in 1763-the route taken by the unfortunate Colonel Crawford in 1782-and the path
followed by Captain Douglass and by the commands of Crooks and of Beal in the war of 1812.
This main trail had a number of spurs to nearby localities. One such left the main trail just east of the
Lakefork Bridge on the Loudonville and Wooster road, and followed the Lakefork north to Mohican Johnstown, on to
Pipe's and Jeromestown; another, leaving the main trail at the same place, followed the Lakefork south to its
confluence with the Blackfork, thence down the east side of the Mohican to the Delaware capital. In the immediate
vicinity of Loudonville there was a branch off in a general southwest direction to Helltown and on to the Scioto towns.
The first white man, recorded by authentic history, who ever visited our vicinity was John Smith. Smith,
when 18 years of age, had been taken captive by the Delawares in Pennsylvania, brought to one of their Muskingum
towns and adopted into the tribe. He resided with them a number of years. His own diary gives the events of a
journey made in 1756, when in company with a Delaware Indian, they came by canoe up the west fork of the Muskingum to head-water, and overland to the Conesdahorie (either Black or Sandusky river), and down the latter
stream to Lake Erie. Thus Smith was the first white man to view the location of our village,-and what view of unrivalled beauty it must have been,-a mingling of the
graceful outline of hills and valleys with the profuse and natural distribution of magnificent forests and ever-
varying, yet ever-beautiful outline of water, which cheers, beautifies and animates everything with its life-giving
presence. These, the essential features of all primeval landscapes, were here combined in their most ultimate
perfection. Indeed, it would perhaps be beyond the power of the most lively fancy, or most graphic pen, to adequately
describe a more beautiful scene than that which here first presented itself to the eye of this Delaware captive. Yet
all this primal beauty,-in the short space of a human life-time,-was destined to lose its pristine beauty and become
the scene of ever-varying human handiwork. Primitive forests vanish, green hills become bare, and the white
farmhouses of Aryan mankind usurp the place of the small Indian wigwam.
By 1812 the vicinity hereabouts, having been fairly purged of the relentless red-man, was ready for the cabin
of the Western Pioneer. Indeed, some of the more venturesome and bold awaited not the going of the savage, but
with courageous mien, bold heart and indomitable energy, pressed in among the westward retreating Delawares, and
selecting the most likely and desirable sites, proceeded to hew a home from this wilderness of the West.
History records that between 1809 and 1812 there were, on the Clearfork, the families of Daniel Lewis,
James Cunningham and Peter Kinney; on the Black-fork, Henry McCarty, Thomas Coulter, Noah Castor,
Alien Oliver, George Crawford, David Davis, Edward Haley, John Davis, Melzer Charles, Bazel Tannyhill, Joseph
Jones, Eben Rice, and the brothers, Joseph, Lewis, Calvin and Harvey Hill.
On the Jerome and Lakefork, James L. Priest, William Greenlee, Thomas Oram, Joseph Oram, Mordecai Chilcote,
Victor Metcalf, Jacob Lybarger, William Bryan, James Conoly, Benjamin Bunn, James Slater, James Bryan, Elias
Chilcote, James Collyer, George Eckley, and others not recorded. As will be noted, these families were quite
widely located, yet fairly well distributed over the townships of Hanover, Green and Lake, yet unorganized. The
abode of these pioneers was usually a one-room log cabin, with its log fireplace, split clapboard weighted roof, one
door and greased paper window. The latch-string was always out and domestic and neighborhood peace reigned
supreme. Each settler had his small clearing, where corn, potatoes, vegetables and tobacco were grown. Wild game
and the fruits of the chase furnished a large share of their daily sustenance. Flour mills were at inconvenient distances, the nearest being Shrimplins and Stebbs, who had two-one on Owl Creek and one near Wooster. Consequently each family had its hand mill and corn pounder.
The nearest trading points were Mansfield, Mt. Vernon and Wooster, all three small villages of a few cabins each. The
nearest good trading point was Zanesville, from which place salt and flour were brought up the Muskingum by canoe or poling rude flat-boats. If the settler wanted provisions from Mt. Vernon or Wooster, he made the journey
a-foot or horseback, no small task in those days. The trails were merely bridle paths through the forests, marked by blazed trees along the way. The forests were still infested with all manner of wild animals, and what was still
more dangerous, numerous Mingo and Delaware hunting parties.
Early in 1812 began the second war with England. This proved a turbulent time for these new settlers of the
west. The efforts of the Shawnee chief, Tecumseh, to confederate all the Ohio tribes with the British was being
felt by the Ohio Indians. They were noticed making frequent visits to Detroit, always returning heavily armed
and less friendly. This created suspicion, which after Hull's surrender at Detroit became almost a certainty, that
the Indians intended mischief and would probably join Tecumseh and the British. Noting this growing discon-
tent, Governor Meigs ordered Captain Douglass, the commandant at Mt. Vernon to remove the Jerometown and
Greentown Indians to the Delaware reservation at Urbana, where they could be effectually guarded. Captain Doug-
lass, at the head of a company of militia, gathered the Indians together and moved them early in September. The
Indians requested that their houses be not molested, which was granted.
Shortly after this, a company of Guernsey County militia under Colonel Crooks, marching from Wheeling to
Sandusky, discovered and burned the now deserted village of Greentown. This created anger and a desire for re-
taliation among the Indians. A few of the Indians had not been collected, some escaped from Douglass; these
united and in a few days occurred the Copus and Zimmer massacres on the Blackfork. This created consternation
among the settlers. There was a rush to their nearest blockhouses. Beams on the Rockyfork, Lewis on the Clear-
fork, Priest's on the Lakefork and at Jeromes, Mansfield and Wooster. Shortly after this strong stockades were
erected on the lands of Thos. Coulter and Alien Oliver in Green Township and J. L. Priest's in Lake Township.
These places were later known as Coulter's, Oliver's and Priest's forts. They, however, were not long needed, as the
Indians never returned to live on the Muskingum, although for many years thereafter they occasionally returned on brief hunting trips.
One of the first of these pioneers to thus crowd the westward going savages was one Stephen Butler, who in
the spring of 1810 built himself a one-room log cabin and cleared land on the east bank of the Blackfork, within what
is now the corporate village of Loudonville, near or on the site of the residence of Frederick Sprang on West Main
Street. Soon after Butler's arrival, another settler, Caleb Chappell, arrived, entered land, built a home and com-
menced clearing land. Chappell's land was situate north and east of Loudonville, and the residence built near where
Joseph Whitney now lives, the old chimney foundation now being the remaining evidence of the cabin. On the tenth
day of May, 1810, James London Priest and two companions arrived up the Lakefork, travelling in dugout
canoes. They landed in what is now Holmes County, three miles east of our village, near Kamerer's mill. Priest at
once viewed the land, traveled to Canton, where the land office then was, entered 1000 acres, returned and built him-
self a cabin on the bank of the stream. This completed, he returned to Pennsylvania for his family. His first
cabin proving badly located, the next spring he erected another about a mile west of the first and two years later
another larger and near the first. This last was still standing as late as 1901. In 1812, as before stated. Priest
erected and guarded a strong stockade on his land which for a short time sheltered the families of J. L. Priest. William
Greenlee, William Hendrickson, Nathan Odell, John Oram, Thomas Oram and Mordecai Chilcote.
On August 6, 1814, Priest laid out the town of Loudonville on the Blackfork, four miles west of his own cabin.
The plan of the village was a main east and west street, with three intersecting streets north and south. These
were surveyed into lots of 60 feet front and 180 feet deep. Priest deeded the twelve central lots free to the village, to
be used as a public park. He also gave a plot of land free for a cemetery. Priest himself surveyed the lots, wrote out
the titles, and, assisted by Stephen Butler, Caleb Chappell, George Davidson and his own sons, staked off the village,
numbered and marked the lots. Priest's father married Anna Louden in Massachusetts in 1768. From her Priest
received his middle name and from this family the name of our village-Loudonville-is derived. Priest died in 1821
and was buried with Masonic honors in the Loudonville cemetery, leaving a family of nine sons and five daughters,
many of whose descendants are still living in this community.
Butler was the first, Davidson the second and Chappell the third citizen of our immediate vicinity. Chappell by
trade was a carpenter and joiner, but engaged from the first in farming and working at his trade. At this time
the nearest settlers were: on the east, Priest and Greenlee, on the northwest, Alien Oliver, and southwest, the families
on the Clearfork. Between 1815, and 1818, there were several new arrivals, among them being William Burwell
and Abel Strong. About 1814 Butler, Chappell and Priest erected the first bridge across the Blackfork. This was a
foot-bridge and to reach the bridge one had to ascend ladders at each end.
Up to this time there was no post-office, mail being carried from place to place by messenger, or sent to the
land office at Canton, or at times to Mt. Vernon, from which places it in time found a carrier to the addressee.
In 1819 the first stage coach route from Mt. Vernon to Wooster and Cleveland was established with Loudonville as
a relay station. The stage, a four-horse ambulance sort of vehicle, was used for passenger, mail and freight service,
making the trip twice weekly in the summer, but only occasionally, as the roads permitted, during the winter.
The greatest obstacle to regular trips was the deep fords of the Blackfork and Muddyfork. In 1818 Alex Skinner
erected the first flour mill, a two-story frame, with two run of stones. Caleb Chappell was the carpenter and de-
signer. For motive power a dam was built in the Black-fork and a race cut to the mill, which stood where the
present mill stands.
In 1819 Butler enlarged his cabin to a pretentious four-room tavern, where he conducted quite a business, supply-
ing the wants of the public-mostly newly arriving settlers. Besides a tavern it was the village bar. In those days,
whiskey, mostly corn, wholesaled at ten and retailed at fifteen cents a gallon and was good whiskey at that, if any
reliance can be placed on tradition. Most of the settlers made their own cloth and clothes; homespun was the most
available and cheapest, and nearly every woman was an expert with the loom. Corn was the principal farinaceous
food, being crushed, pounded or ground between burr-stones and used as corn-bread, mush, corn fritters, hominy
or distilled into whiskey. Wheat and wheat flour wereless used.
Every settler had his trusty rifle and trained hunting dog. The furs thus gathered during the winter months
were one of their most valued assets. Butler was the fur trader, the skins being sent east by stage to English
and other foreign fur companies. Education and religion were not forgotten, although no public schools or churches had yet been erected. Each family tried to educate their
children and had daily family worship, usually the reading of a chapter from the Bible and a prayer. Tradition says
Silas Parker taught a small subscription school in the Priest settlement in 1818. Whether a special building was
provided and how long it continued is not known. The first school in Loudonville remembered was the old plank schoolhouse erected in 1818, on the southeast quarter of the
square, about where the band-stand now stands. The building was about twenty feet square and constructed of
plank standing upright. There was no floor and two windows. William Robeson was the first teacher remembered.
As early as 1819 the Chappell family was interested in securing the first religious services in the cabins of this
vicinity. For $63.00, payable in wheat, rye or corn, the labors of Rev. Thos. G. Jones, a Baptist minister, living
near Wooster, were obtained once every fourth Sabbath. The coming of the stage supplied the opportunity for one
more business and by 1820 there was a wagon and blacksmith shop directly across the street from Butler's tavern,
on what is now the Parrott corner. After regular stage service, came regular mail service and the establishment
of the first United States post-office at Loudonville, January 14, 1820, with Thomas Taylor the first postmaster. At
this time this community was a part of the original Wayne County as erected by Territorial Governor St. Clair. The
surveys according to the United States Land Ordinance of 1795 were made in 1807 by General James Hedges,
Deputy Surveyor of the United States. They were into ranges, and these into townships six miles square.
In Range 15, Lake Township was organized in 1814, and in Range 16, Green in 1812, and Hanover in 1816.
In 1820 we find the following additional families in Hanover Township, viz.: William Burwell, Thomas Taylor,
Robert Dawson, George Snider, Amos Harbaugh, William Webb, A. Winters, Abel Strong, John Hildebrand, John
Burwell, Alexander Skinner, T. J. Bull and N. Haskell. The population of the village was about thirty. It had no civil government, was not incorporated and has left no census record. The village had one tavern, one blacksmith, a flour mill and brickyard. There are no records of any store at this early date, though it is probable some small mercantile establishment existed. Caleb Chappell was the carpenter and Stephen Butler fur trader, Justice
of the Peace and manager and owner of the tavern. By 1821 Nathaniel Haskell had erected and was operating a
carding machine and fulling mill, at that time a great convenience. Haskell was long after prominently identified
with the business life of the village. During these early days the settlers were severely punished by agues, malarial
and billious fevers and dysentery. There were no physicians nearer than Wooster, yet a few of the older
women, if tradition can be relied upon, were possessed of marvelous medical ability. Mrs. J. L. Priest and Mrs.
Greenlee were considered especially skillful in handling these prevalent ailments.
In 1821 Dr. J. S. lrwin located in Loudonville for medical practice. In 1823 a Dr. Cliff and in 1825 Dr.
Clendennin were here. How long each remained is not now remembered. In 1831 Dr. E. B. Fuller, a physician
of the old school, began practice. He spent his entire life here, had a large practice, died in 1867, and is buried in
Loudonville. Dr. Smith was long a practitioner and contemporary with Dr. Fuller. In 1825 John Strong settled
in Loudonville and was one of the early stage drivers. In the same year George Easly, a watch and clockmaker,
opened a shop in his residence, which stood where Weimer's meat market now stands.
Previous to 1825 the growth of the town was slow, with no demand for real estate. It is recorded that Samuel
Garrett, in 1825, bought several of the most desirable lots in the village for one dollar each. The latter half decade
of 1820-1830 was one of prosperity and growth to the village. The country around was being rapidly settled and
Hanover, Green and Lake Townships had 1800 inhabitants, while twenty years previous the entire county had but
one hundred and fifty. The village at this time had 272 inhabitants. The census of 1830 was taken by Colonel
Urie, of Ashland. In 1830, as near as can be learned, Loudonville had three taverns, as follows: the Washington
House, a brick on West Main Street; this, previously operated by Butler, was now operated by A. M. Hemelreich, and
the called the Washington House; a large two-story frame, the American House, where Haudenchild's drugstore now
stands, Hatch and Eddy, proprietors; this later passed into the hands of the Stockmans; a large two-story brick,
on the Moyer corner, first known as the Cannon House and after 1845 the Comer House. In 1830 there were three
blacksmiths, viz.: Sylvester Banner, on the Parrott corner; Elijah Marrietta, on the Citizens Savings Bank lot, and
another directly across the street, next door to what then was George Easley's residence and watch-shop. There were
two distilleries in operation, one west of town on Maple Heights, the other about a mile east of town, Heath and
Doolittle, operators. T. J. Bull was running the flour mill and a sawmill, and Samuel Garrett a woolen mill south of town, on the Mt. Vernon road.
There are no positive records of stores at this time; it appears that all provisions and merchandise were
brought from Wooster or Mt. Vernon. The town was still unorganized; each tavern operated a bar, whiskey being
the principal commodity. Our pioneers were not noted for intemperance; distilleries, like mills, were a necessity.
There was a surplus of corn and rye, while there were neither purchasers nor a market. The only way this
surplus could be utilized was to convert it into whiskey, which could be exchanged for goods. The result was that
many distilleries sprang up in every part of the country and whiskey became "Legal tender."
In 1833 a young man purchased a stock of goods in Pittsburg and started west to find a location to sell them.
Mansfield, Ohio, was his objective point, but he could get no room except the bar-room of Smart's Hotel, which was
then too far from the business part of the town, though now in the heart of the city. He hired a horse at twenty-
five cents a day, and rode to Loudonville, then in Richland County. Here he began mercantile business for himself
in a small frame building on the corner occupied at present by the Spreng Furniture Co. Before the goods were all
moved into the building he opened a bag of coffee on the street and sold it to the crowd standing around, thus rais-
ing money enough to pay the wagoners who brought the goods from Pittsburg. The store did a prosperous busi-
ness and became the sensation of the day, customers coming a great distance. This young man, George H. Stewart,
later Judge Stewart, thus has the distinction of being our first merchant. Stewart was long and favorably known
to the town and one of its most energetic and pushing citizens.
A year or two later Nathaniel Haskell disposed of his milling business and opened a dry goods store on the
corner of Main and Spring Streets. Here he continued until 1848, when he sold to Larwell and Taylor.
In 1836 T. McMahan operated the dry goods store located on what is now the Covert corner. In 1834 the Methodist
Church was organized by the Rev. Elijah Yocum. The services were held in McMahan's warehouse on the north-
west corner of Main and Water Streets, until 1836 when a brick church, 24x36 feet, was erected on North Water
Street. The first newspaper in Loudonville and Ashland County was the Hanover Journal and Mohican Advocate,
edited by a Mr. Rogers. It failed after six numbers and suspended. Sparse settlements, few subscribers and poor
mail service no doubt contributed to its failure. On authority of our oldest native-born citizen, Selah
Strong, the following business places were in operation about 1835, viz.: three taverns, Stewards general store,
McMahan's dry goods store, HaskeIVs dry goods store, Bull's mill, Easley's clock shop, Doolittle's two distilleries,
Smith's brickyard, Garrett's woolen mill, two blacksmiths, two physicians, one school, the plank school-house, and one
church, the Methodist. The stage was running regular, owned and operated by a Mr. Porter, of Wooster. Jerry,
John and William Danner were the regular stage drivers, Asa Harris and Jeremiah Sanborn the village carpenters,
and Abel Strong was Justice of the Peace. In 1838 Aaron Yarnell, a tinner by trade, opened a
tinshop where Leonold's now is Previous to Yarnell, D. Prutzman was operating a tin and coppersmith shop. In
1839 the Baptist Church was organized and a new frame church erected on the present location. By 1840 the
following families were some of the additional settlers in the surrounding country, viz.: the Kelsers, Derrs, Heffelfingers, Sprangs, Huffmans, Baldners, Weimers, Youngs,
Becks, Derrenbergers and Dennys, east of town; the Mumpers, Moshers, Derrs, Arnholts, Smiths, Woodruffs,
Ketterings, Sidles and Hydes, south and west of town; and the Wolfs, Quicks, Workmans, Warners, Byers, Longs and
Helberts, north of town. The population of the village was 350, and Hanover, Green and Lake Townships had
4637 inhabitants. The country was being rapidly developed and settled. The village business houses were in
a flourishing condition, likewise the surrounding country. Clearing the land was the largest task and chopping frolics
and log rollings were frequent events, always ending with a sumptuous supper and a dance. The husking bees for
the men and quilting for the women were likewise frequent, jolly and long remembered events.
It was during the presidential campaign of 1840, that General Harrison, later President Harrison, visited the
village. This was when making a trip from Mt. Vernon to Massillon to address a political meeting that General
Harrison stopped at Loudonville's tavern. He had been sent here from Mt. Vernon and when once here it was up to
the Whigs in Loudonville to send the coming president to Wooster, the next lap on his journey. For this event no buggy could be secured in the town, but owing to the diligence of George H. Stewart, the merchant, a one-horse wagon was finally secured, decorated and the distinguished guest sent on his way, accompanied by Stewart and N. Haskell, and followed by a motley and enthusiastic procession of admirers, among them a ten-year old
Loudonville boy, W. L. Strong, who later, in 1883, became Mayor of New York City.
In 1842 William McEwen was in the harness and saddlery business. He was succeeded in 1845 by a Mr.
Henderson. In 1842 Christ Deyarman opened "the first cabinet shop in an old stable, where the widow of David
Stacher now lives. The next year Henry Gilbert arrived and worked for Deyarman a number of years, until 1849,
when he quit Deyarman and opened a shop of his own on Spring Street, where he continued until his death. About
1842 the first covered bridge, the second wagon bridge, was erected across the Blackfork. It was single track, covered
and supported on log abutments and a log center pier. Probably the first military company formed in Loudonville
was in 1845, during the Mexican War. The company was organized, uniformed and drilled, but never left the town.
Drills were executed regularly every Saturday afternoon in a field on the Bull farm south of town. Old residents
well remember the showy uniforms, martial music and well executed drills. Ephraim Marks was captain, William
Sprague, fifer, John Strong, snare drummer, and Cooper Rowland, bass drummer.
An act erecting the county of Ashland passed the General Assembly, February 24, 1846. The new county
was taken from the surrounding counties of Richland, Wayne, Lorain and Huron. At the first county election
in 1846 N. M. Donaldson was elected the first prosecuting attorney, and G. W. Bull first county representative, both
of Loudonville. George H. Stewart was named one of the three Associate Judges for the new county. He received the oath of office in Ashland March 3, 1846, and served seven years.
The original intention was to construct the Walhonding canal up the Blackfork to Loudonville. In 1838, a law
was passed to provide for this extension, but unfortunately the money was not available and the project vanished.
Stewart was the moving spirit of the project and the one who secured the legislation. Its failure was a great dis-
appointment to the villagers. At the time of the erection of Ashland County and the location of the county seat, the
settlers of the south end of the county had been promised the county seat of a new county of Hanover to be erected
later; however the failure to secure the canal and also no erection-of a new county effectually barred us of county seat honors.
In 1846 a new stone school house was erected on the site of the present school building. In a few years it proved
too small and was abandoned. The first big fire remembered was in 1847, when Sapp's dry goods store burned.
This was where the 1. 0. 0. F. building now stands. The village was without fire-fighting facilities, but by hard
work the villagers confined the fire to the one building. In 1841 Haskell erected a large two-story brick building on
the corner of Main and Spring Streets, where he conducted his dry goods business. At this time this was also the
Postoffice, and Jacob Miller, HaskelFs clerk, the postmaster. In 1848 Larwell and Taylor purchased HaskelPs stock
and the next year Larwell erected the present Larwell block on the corner of Main and Water Streets, and moved
their stock to the new location. The Hemelreich tavern on West Main Street passed into the hands of George
Howard in 1847, after which it was known as the Howard House until the late fifties, when it became the Ohio House.
In 1848 there was a movement started to erect an academy in the town. The necessary funds were raised
by public subscription and a large four-room brick building erected on North Union Street. For a number of
years it flourished and had a good enrollment. The first principal was Prof. McCormick, who taught two years,
and was succeeded by Prof. A. J. Scott. Professors Hill, Myers, Swearingen were other and later superintendents.
After 1852 the building passed into the ownership of N. Haskell, who supplied the teachers and managed the school.
It was then called Haskell's Academy. The last term taught was by Miss Charlotte Stewart in 1865, after which
it was discontinued. The building is now used as a parsonage by St. Peter's Catholic Church.
In 1846 the Hanover Evangelical Lutheran Church, comprising what are now Zion's Evangelical and Trinity Evangelical congregations, was organized and a frame church erected on what is now North Union Street. This was then included in Wales addition but rather far out and isolated.
Hanover Lodge, No. 115, F. & A. M., was established by a dispensation from the Grand Lodge, October 28, 1844.
The petitioners were G. H. Stewart, A. Klem, N. Haskell, John Ewalt, W. J. Cullen, P. B. Griffith, E. B. Fuller and
Jacob Booth. The Lodge now has a membership of about one hundred. In 1848 G. G. Leopold succeeded A. Yarnell
in the tin shop, continuing the same stand where his sons have since been located. Previous to 1849, Musgrove and McMahon operated a dry goods store where the Farmers Bank now stands. In 1849 Musgrove sold to Yarnell and the firm became Yarnell and McMahon. Previous to 1849, William Sprague had been for a number of years conducting a gun shop on Spring Street. Sprague died in 1849; the building and tools were purchased by P. A. Reinhart,
who moved it to North Water Street, where he remained many years making guns and rifles.
In 1849 G. H. Stewart was busy purchasing right-of-way and assisting in other ways to secure the Pennsylvania
& Ohio R. R., now the P. Ft. W. & C. R. R. Owing to the energy and endeavors of Stewart the road came to Loudonville, although the direct line from Wooster to Mansfield would leave us many miles to the south. On this account Stewart became know as the man who put the crook in
the railroad. Construction was rapidly pushed and trains in operation in 1852. Stewart was the first ticket
and station agent, a position he held for ten years, when he was succeeded by J. H. Sanborn. A peculiarity of the
early railroad was that all engines at that time were named after towns along the line, and Old Pittsburg, Canton and
Massillon are still well remembered by citizens of those days. Previous to 1848 there was a chair factory in the
northeast corner of Main and Water Streets, owned by a Mr. Huston and managed by John Jones. The corner was
sold in 1849 to J. C. Larwell, who removed the old building and erected the present brick, Larwell's block. Larwell
moved his dry goods store here in 1850 and occupied the corner continuously for thirty years.
About 1845 Stephen Rust erected the first foundry, on East Main Street about where the Presbyterian church
now stands. At that time this part of town was not built up and the foundry was, in a sense, in the country. In
1845, A. M. Wales, of Massillon, and G. H. Stewart laid off and opened up the Wales addition on the east side of the original town plat. Stewart was engaged in selling the lots
for many years. Late in the thirties or early in the forties the first tannery was built west of the river, where Zimmerman's shop is now located. It was built by Ransom Clark, later passed into the hands of a Mr. Carnahan.
Carnahan died in 1845, and Stewart, the administrator, managed it until 1853, when John Schauweker became
owner, the latter operating it many years. In 1830 the following were operating groceries, viz.: A. TJIIman, where
F. P. Young's hardware now is; F. Schook, one door east of Ullman's; John Yuncker, where Main Street restaurant
stands; and John Sheets, in the basement of the American House. John Strong and Adam Koenrick were operating
their dry goods store on the Sprang corner, Larwell in the Larwell Block and A. Klem a dry goods store where S. Schauweker now has a store.
The village was incorporated March 27, 1850, the following being a true copy of an act passed by the General
Assembly of Ohio on that date:
TO INCORPORATE THE TOWN OF LOUDONVILLE, IN THE COUNTY OF ASHLAND.
SEC. 1. Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Ohio, that so much of the township of Hanover, in the County of Ashland, as is included in the original plat of the town of Loudonville, with such additions as have been, or may hereafter be made to said town, and to extend west to the Blackfork of the Mohican river, be, and the same is hereby erected a town corporate, to be known and designated by the name of the town of Loudonville,
and by that name shall be a body, corporate and politic in perpetuity:
SEC. 2. That said town shall be entitled to all the privileges and subject to all the restrictions of the act entitled, "An Act for the regulation of incorporated towns," passed February 2, one thousand eight hundred and thirty.
BENJAMIN F. LEITER,
March 26, 1850. Speaker of House of Representatives. The first town officers were elected, as shown by
Council Journal No. I, as follows:
Pursuant to notice dated 10th April, A. D. 1850, the voters of the town of Loudonville met on the 22d day of
April, 1850, for the purpose of electing town officers. John Robeson and Adam Koenrick were chosen viva voce
as judges and Nathaniel Haskell, clerk. These were qualified by George W. Bull, a justice of the Peace for Hanover
Township. In the election following, William Hoch was elected first mayor, John Strong, recorder, and Adam
Koenrick, E. B. Fuller, John Deyarman, N. Haskell and T. C. Rowland trustees for a term of one year. John
Jones was appointed first marshal. From this time on regular meetings of the council were held. Ordinance
No. I was one for authorizing the election of town officers on the second Monday of April annually; No. 2 for the
abatement of nuisances, and No. 3 to regulate and define the powers and duties of the town marshal. At the
council meeting of May 23, 1850, the council received a petition signed by twenty-three voters, praying for an ordinance to prevent sheep running at large in the town. Thus was the little village fairly started on her politic career.
In 1850 the village had at least the following business places, viz.: three taverns, three dry goods stores, four
saloons, two clothing stores, two cabinet shops, three churches, three physicians, three blacksmiths, two distil-
leries, and one each, warehouse, flour mill, saw mill, tannery, foundry, brickyard, woolen mill, lodge, academy,
shoe store, tinshop, gunsmith, watchmaker and jeweler, stone schoolhouse and a railroad constructing.
The population of the village was 380, this showing a very small gain in the ten years past. The three surrounding townships were practically stationary, there being 4684
inhabitants as compared with 4637 in 1840. This was mainly due to many of the older settlers, having the western
fever and longing for pioneer times, now rapidly passing, selling their lands and going farther west to live again the
- Pioneer struggles. Pioneer customs and costumes still prevailed. If the people of those days had less for costly
apparel and ostentatious display, they had more for charity and benevolence. They had no infirmaries, no paupers,
few lawyers and no jails. Their type of Christianity will not suffer by comparison with that of today. The vain
and thoughtless may jeer at their unpretending manners, customs and costumes, but in all the elements of true man-
hood and true womanhood it may safely be said they were more than the peers of those who in their turn have followed th'em. Between 1850 and 1860, owing to the coming of the railroad, one of the pioneer industries-the manufacture of whiskey-began to wane and another take its place-the raising of stock and grain for market. The
community gradually awoke to the fact that modern shipping facilities enabled them to grow these commodities at a profit.
Previous to 1850, the nearest available shipping points were Massillon, on the Ohio canal, and Cleveland. The
early settlers frequently hauled their grain to those points but at a great expense of time, labor and money. Now all
was changed and all that was necessary was to haul their produce to their own village-the railway did the rest.
P. J. Black, in 1851, was the first baker and confectioner in the town. His shop was next the old American House,
on Main Street. In 1854, T. J. Henderson conducted a harness and saddlery on Main Street, and in 1857 C. Openheimer, clothing, and Claud Petot, boots and shoes and repairing, were new business places. Henderson was
where Raby now has his implement room, Openheimer where the Evans building stands, and Petot where his son
now continues the business. PetoVs first shoe shop was a repair shop and located in the basement of the American
House. The foundry on East Main Street changed hands a number of times between 1850 and 1860. In 1854 T. J.
Bull, 1855, Tilleson and Feik, and in 1858 Moltrup and Feik were owners. In 1858 Selah Strong was conducting a
large blacksmithing establishment in the foundry building. The village school was on the site of the present school
building. This school came to be known as the sheep pen. After abandoning the old stone school house (on this
location) a larger one-room frame building was erected, which in a few years also proved too small and a second
room was added. In a few years the same process was repeated and so on, until the building consisted of six
rooms, all one story high, each built to the other. In 1856 the second wooden bridge-a double tracked covered
bridge-was built across the Blackfork. This bridge served until the first iron bridge was erected.
The night of the Presidential election in 1856 was long remembered for two events, the burning of the rail-
road bridge and trestle west of town and the murder of John Whitney. Whitney, a worthy and esteemed citizen,
was waylaid, assaulted and robbed when on his way home that night. His skull was fractured, but he managed to
crawl to his home, a few rods away, but could not tell who
committed the deed. He died the next day. The mystery
never was solved.
On April 20, 1854, Sylvan Lodge, No. 240, 1. 0. 0. F., was established at Loudonville with six charter members,
as follows: John Taylor, D. E. Stockman, A. P. Mathers, C. Hilderbrand, A. Yarnell and Jacob Lentzy. The present
membership is about one hundred. In 1860, Larwell, dry goods; Openheimer, clothing; Shaffer, groceries; Gooth, groceries; Black, bakery; Merklinger, groceries, were some .of the business houses. There were still three
taverns, three blacksmiths, two liveries, warehouse, tannery, foundry, brewery, gunsmith, distillery, three churches and a school. In 1860 the village was visited by another fire, and the Hanover Evangelical
and Reformed Church, on North Union Street, was burned. There had previously been a great deal of friction
between the two congregations and for two years they had not been meeting together. It was thought some one applied the match to settle this controversy. The following
year both congregations erected new churches, both frame and both on the locations they now occupy.
In 1860 the villagers were considerably exercised because Jonas and John Priest, heirs of J. L. Priest, at-
tempted to reclaim and take the Public Square. The attempt was again made in 1861 and 1863, and in the spring
of 1865, the Priest brothers commenced to plow the Square for corn. A special meeting of the village council was
hastily called, an injunction secured and an ordinance passed prohibiting trespassing on the Square. Claude
Petot was appointed marshal pro tern in the absence of the regular marshal, with orders to see that the ordinance was
obeyed-and it was. At the council meeting of May 16, 1865, a resolution was passed, asking that Judge R. C.
Hurd, of Mt. Vernon, be retained as attorney and counselor to institute and prosecute such legal proceedings as he
may judge expedient to obtain final settlement of the right and claim of the village of Loudonville to the Public Square,
as against claims of certain heirs of J. L. Priest, deceased. In 1870 the village council issued a lease on the Public
Square to the Board of Education for 999 years, for purpose of erecting a Public School. Again the Priest
claim was urged, and it became a matter of doubt if the council had the right to issue such lease. It was finally
determined to submit the matter to the courts for settlement. Attorney Hurd was again retained, and two suits
instituted, one in the name of John Stockman for the village of Loudonville, vs. the heirs of J. L. Priest, deceased,
the other J. W. Hilderbrand vs. incorporated village of Loudonville. The first suit effectually settled the right
and title of the village to the Public Square. The second also made it evident that the village could not lease or
otherwise dispose of the Square for public buildings. This latter action was commenced in the Court of Common
Pleas, appealed to the District Court, and reversed by that Court to the Supreme Court. The case was finally ended
by the Board of Education refusing to defend the suit and asking that the injunction be made perpetual.
In the early days, 1860, when most people drank their toddys and everybody went to the depot to see the train come in, the village boasted of a population of 447, while the Township of Hanover had 1743, Green 1743 and Lake
912 inhabitants. In 1861 Company H, 23d 0. V. 1. was organized at Loudonville by Captain James L. Drake, recruited in Hanover, Green and Lake Townships, and mustered in at Camp Chase, Columbus, Ohio, June 12,
1861. The officers were James L. Drake, captain; John P. Cunningham, first lieutenant. There were ninety men in the company, of which three were killed in battle, four died in hospital and one was drowned. The company was
mustered out July 26, 1865, at Cumberland, Maryland. In 1861 A. A. Taylor purchased the Loudonville flour mill of J. C. Larwell and first began his extensive milling career. He at once erected a new large frame mill with
two run of stones. The mill did a large and profitable business. Meeting with success, in a few years Taylor began to branch out and engage more extensively in the business. He erected and operated a large cooper shop at Loudonville, where he made his own barrels. In a few years Taylor was operating large mills at Orrville, Massillon, Mt.
Vernon, Toledo and Loudonville.
In 1865, J. C. Larwell, having for a number of years conducted a large dry goods business, on the Larwell
corner, took his clerk, W. S. Fisher, in as partner. The firm of Larwell and Fisher continued in this location until
1880. In 1863 Simon Bolly, having disposed of his plow and foundry business, engaged in the saloon business. In
a few years he formed a partnership with M. Derrenberger and continued the business. In 1867 the foundry was operated by Moltrup Sons & Miller. Lucian Rust at this
time was extensively engaged in the structural iron and contractor business, being connected with many large contracts in his line and extending his operations to nearly all
parts of the United States. Redd and Black, grocers, and J. B. Long, boots, shoes and repairing, were new business
enterprises for 1867. The latter started in a small frame building on the same location where now C. S. Long is located.
In the same year, 1867, the first bank, Haskell's Bank, in Loudonville was organized, Nathaniel Haskell, principal stockholder, and J. L. Quick, cashier. Haskell's Bank was located where T. B. Gilbert's store is. It was reorganized and called the Loudonville Banking Company after Has-
kell's death in 1875. In 1867 Daniel Geiselman, livery and saddlery, and in 1869 J. L. Burwell and wife, millinery,
were new businesses, the former on North Water Street, the latter on Main Street, in the old brick where since the
Hotel Ullman was erected. J. W. Stacher and brother were conducting a dry goods store on the Stacher corner,
A. Ullman and son, on the Haskell corner, and Larwell and Fisher in the Larwell Block. J. F. Redd, S. Hess and
P. J. Black were grocerymen. The physicians were A. B. Fuller, A. J. Scott and C. S. Mills. The village was
in a flourishing condition and had a population of 642. St. Peter's Catholic Church,' an imposing brick structure,
carrying the sacred emblem of the Cross more than one hundred feet higher than any other structure in the town, was erected in 1871. In the following year the same congregation became possessors of the old academy building, to be used as a parsonage.
The first newspaper was The Independent, established in 1869 by Robert Lockhart, which after a few years was
moved away. In 1873 J. H. Ruth started the Loudonville Advocate, which passed into the hands of P. H. Stauffer in
1877. In 1901 J. R. Fisher purchased the same; in 1903 H. E. Zimmerman became the owner, and in 1905 a stock
company was organized. In 1878 The Loudonville Democrat was established by John G. Herzog, who in 1885 sold
it to George Campbell. In 1890 the present owner of the Democrat, John P. Bowman, purchased the paper and has since continued the publication.
In 1872 Case and Pell were clothiers in a room next the 1. 0. 0. F. building, and Joseph Schaweker, a dry goods store at the stand now occupied by Stitzel & Ulman.
In 1873 Jacob Breicheisen erected the checkered front building on North Water Street and conducted a large
grocery and produce business for a number of years. Prutzman and Leopold were each in the tin and stove bus-
iness; Derrenberger & Bolly, saloon, and J. C. Pell, drug store. In 1874 the Presbyterian Church was organized
and in 1875 a brick church erected southeast of the Square. The English Lutherans organized in 1875 and erected a
substantial brick church on East Main Street in 1875. The Presbyterian and English Lutheran congregations united
in 1912, as Presbyterians, occupying the English Lutheran building.
In April, 1872, the village was visited by the most destructive fire of her history. During the night of April 5, fire broke out in the tinshop of G. G. Leopold and before
it could be controlled the following business houses were completely destroyed, viz.: Ullman's dry goods store; Baldner's grocery; Leopold's tinshop; Oppenheimer, clothing; and Jacob Young's saloon. Previous to this time
the village was without a fire department. After the fire the citizens and council awoke to the necessity and two fire
companies were organized. A fire engine, ladders and apparatus were purchased and cisterns built. Up to 1875 there was no town hall or municipal building. On May 21, 1873, the village council voted to bond the village for the
purpose of erecting a town hall, to cost about $7000. A lot was purchased on North Water Street, of A. Lemmel
for $1400 and construction commenced. The building, a rather imposing brick, was completed and occupied the following year.
In 1874, the old covered bridge across the Blackfork was replaced by the first iron bridge, which in 1892 was replaced by the "Brooklyn Bridge," the latter being swept away by the flood of 1913 and destroyed.
On May 27, 1875, Teutonia Lodge, No. 69, K. of P., was organized and a charter secured from the Grand
Lodge. The charter members were Jacob Kuhlman, C. F. Stoelzel, Charles Roth, G. Goll, J. Young, .K. Konrad, M. Derrenberger, S. Bolly, J. Bollinger, Daniel Scheuler. The
Lodge has been prosperous, now owns its own building on West Main Street, and has a membership of about one hundred and ninety.
Loudonville's business directory for 1880 contains the following: clothing, Case & Pell, George L. Wilcox; dry goods, Larwell & Fisher, J. W. Stacher & Brother, Baldner & Otoman; tinshops, D. Prutzman, G. G. Leopold; boots and shoes, J. B. Long, C. Petot, A. B. Priest, E. Y. Listin; groceries, F. Smith, Jacob Young, S. Bolley, D. Mellinger, S. E. Hess, J. Brecheisen & Co.; hotels, American House, John Stockman, proprietor, Ohio House, T. Workman, proprietor; grain dealers, A. A. Taylor, R. P. Wallace & Co., Deyarman; flour mill, A. A. Taylor; millinery, J. L. Burwell, Julia Freshwater; physicians, S. S. Mills, J. Pell, A. J. Scott, W. H. Wirt and A. B. Fuller; drug stores, J. C.
Pell, H. S. Stockman, A. Robison; blacksmiths, Pippitt, S. Strong, G. Eberts, S. Stentz; printers, Advocate, J. H.
Ruth, editor, Democrat, J. G. Herzog, editor; bakers, J. Yuncher, L. McMahon, J. F. Redd; attorneys, H. L. Moray C. W. Downes; saddlery, D. Geiselman; banks, Loudonville Banking Co., J. L. Quick, cashier; brewery, Roth & Graf; tanner, G. Schaweker; carriage works, L. Zimmerman; furniture, H. Gilbert, C. M. McLaughlin; hardware, Whitney & Gaines, M. Frangkiser; churches, six; population, 811.
By 1880 A. A. Taylor was extensively engaged in the flour milling business, operating mills at Orrville, Mas-
sillon, Mt. Vernon, Toledo and Loudonville. These mills were all burr stone or old process mills and had been oper-
ated at a handsome profit-said to be as high as a dollar on barrel of flour. About this time the method of milling
underwent a radical change from the burr-stone to the roller process. Burr-stone flour was no longer command-
ing the price, nor could it compete with the new process product. This made it necessary for Taylor to change the
machinery in his mills, involving the expenditure of many thousand dollars. To meet this demand he borrowed $100,000, with J. C. Larwell as security. During these
operations Taylor suddenly died. Larwell made a voluntary assignment, to protect himself and allowed the mills
to pass into other hands, the N. W. Elevator & Mill Company becoming owners.
In 1880 Jacob Smith first opened a saloon on East Main Street, but after two years changed it to a grocery,
which he conducted until 1910 when he was succeeded by L. M. Smith. In 1884 Smith & Motz had a livery on
South Wood Street. This place was destroyed by fire in 1886. Motz then opened a grocery on West Main Street
and Smith continued the grocery business on East Main Street. By 1880 M. Frangkiser had succeeded Columbus
Priest in the hardware business. He conducted this until 1895, when he sold to Brown Bros. They in turn disposed
of it to the Loudonville Hardware Co. Hartupee & Reed, later Reed & Raby, and still later G. F. Raby & Sons were
successors of the hardware firm of Whitney & Gaines. In 1880 Larwell & Fisher dissolved their partnership, Larwell
continuing on the old stand. In 1885 he sold to a Mr. Franks who closed the business. W. S. Fisher opened a
dry goods store in the room now occupied by T. B. Gilbert. In 1905 it became W. S. Fisher & Sons. J. W. Stacher
formed a partnership with W. E. Fulmer early in the nineties. This firm later became Oswalt & Fulmer and
after 1899 G. W. Oswalt, who continued until 1912. In 1883 S. A. Losh purchased the notion store of D. W.
Norrick and the next year moved across the street, converting it into a dry goods store. In 1890 it became Losh &
Schmidt, and after 1900, S. A. Losh & Co. Stitzel & Ullman have conducted their clothing business since 1878 in
the location they now occupy. Wise Bros., later M. Wise & Co., and since 1900 Strauss and Arnholt, were also
clothiers. W. P. Ullman, later Ullman & Keifer, were druggists. In 1904 H. J. Haudenschild became owner.
From 1885 J. F. Frangkiser also conducted a drug store. J. W. Covert became the owner in 1899. Some of the
grocerymen of the past thirty years were J. Brecheisen, M. J. Wolf, Wolf & Goll, G. P. Weber, J. Smith, L. Mc-
Mahan: the present grocery men being E. Moyer & Co., J. Ewald, M. Motz, C. W. Strong, D. T. Derrenberger, Graf
& Poff, Workman & Sprang, and L. M. Smith. In 1882 A. Ullman, Sr., and others organized the
Farmers Bank, with A. C. Ullman cashier. The Loudonville Banking Company became the First National Bank,
with D. H. Graven cashier. The Citizens Savings Bank Co. was organized in 1905 by M. J. Wolf and reorganized 1908
by C. B. Scott and E. F. Shelley; W. S. Hissern, cashier. These are only a few of the many changes since 1880. Of
other events since that time, we need only mention the building of the Public School, 1884; the coming of the
T. W. V. & 0. R. R. in 1892, and the Electric Light plant in the same year. In 1901 we had the big fire, originating
in the livery of Orra Beard, spreading rapidly until the following places were in ashes, namely, Beard's livery,
Loudonville Advocate, Evans' building, F. P. Young's hardware, A. Tenschert's tailoring establishment, C. Petot's
shoe store, and the hotel of Samuel Lucas. Of other events we need only mention the building of the Christian Church,
paving of Main and Water Streets, construction of the city water works, new town hall and first and second local
option elections. These events are all so well known, they need no reiteration.
In magnitude our village has been enlarged from the original plat by the following additions, viz.: Haskell's,
Wales, Blacks and Sanborns. These additions are now all substantially built.
In magnitude our village has been enlarged from the original plat by the following additions, viz.: Haskell's,
Wales, Blacks and Sanborns. These additions are now all substantially built.
Thus has a century passed. A brief comparison of census reports shows the following growth:
Year Inhabitants Year Inhabitants Year Inhabitants Year Inhabitants
1810... 1 1850... 360 1880... 811 1910... 1805
1820. . . 30 1860 ...470 1890... 1444
1840. . . 272 1870. . . 680 1900. . . 1508
This shows that although we have had no large growth, yet it is progressive, each decade showing an advance.
At present we are a modern little city of about 2000 people. We boast of some of the finest and cleanest
stores, for a town of our size, in North Central Ohio. We have seven fine churches, viz.: Methodist, Zion's Evangeli-
cal Lutheran, St. Peter's Catholic, Baptist, Presbyterian, Trinity Reformed, Christian, and to the credit of our town the first time in history-no saloons. Thus have we
passed in brief review, one hundred years of our politic and industrial history,-a period of pioneer struggles, fol-
lowed by one of industrial growth and domestic tranquility, until at present we are no longer in our infancy, nor yet
in our dotage, but in the full flower of our adolescence. The period passed has been one of trials and reverses, but
from these we have emerged victorious, and at present are enjoying all the comforts and emoluments of one hundred
years of progress. Let us hope the coming century may see our posterity blessed with an equal or greater degree
of progress, in all that counts for the building of true manhood and womanhood, and that at the celebration of
our second centennial one hundred years hence, we may be revered as pioneers in the same sense that we honor those of the century just passed.
MAYORS OF LOUDONVILLE
Since Its Incorporation, 1850 to 1914
1850 William Hoch
1851 John McCormick
1852 John McCormick
1853 John McCormick
1854 John McCormick
1882 C. S. Deyarman
A. J. Scott elected to 1884 Frederick Smith fill unexpired term 1886 F. P. Young
1855 John Strong
1856 Jesse Hayes
1857 A. J. Scott
1858 A. J. Scott
1859 A. J. Scott
1860 A. J. Scott
1861 A. J. Scott
1862 William Larwell
1863 William Larwell
1864 William Larwell
1865 Darius Rust
1866 Darius Rust
1867 A. J. Scott
1868 J. B. Long
1869 J. B. Long
1870 R. Hill -D. Rust ap-1912 J. C. Andrews pointed, resigned
1872 J. B. Long
1874 J. B. Long
1876 J. W. Bull
1878 C. S. Deyarman
(re- 1880 H. L. Moray signed)
1888 F. P. Young
1890 J. F. Frangkiser
1892 J. F. Frangkiser
1894 James C. Hissern
1896 James C. Hissern (died in office)
1897 J. B. Riblet (appointed for unexpired term)
1898 E. F. Shelley
1900 Charles 1. Goard
1902 Charles 1. Goard
1904 Charles I Goard
1906 Charles 1. Goard
1908 E. C. Kiplinger
1910 G. C. Henley
1914 R. F. Andress
POSTMASTERS OF LOUDONVILLE * With Date of Appointment
Thomas Taylor (Est)................January 14, 1820
Thomas McMahon ...................... April 25, 1828
John Gampbell ........................... July 28, 1841
Jacob Miller ........................ December 3, 1845
A. A. Taylor ........................ February 8, 1849
John 1. Whitney ........................ June 26, 1849
John McCormick ........................April 9, 1850
J. C. Larwell ...................... November 25, 1853
A. J. Scott, ..........................August 16, 1855
J. C. Larwell ...................... November 23, 1855
A. J. Scott .......................... October 12, 1859
John Strong ............................ July 10, 1861
George Honneberger. ................. .October 23, 1866
John Strong .......................... March 14, 1867
Joseph Brown ....................... February 7, 1868
John Strong ............................ May 12, 1870
John G. Herzog ......................... July 21, 1885
John D. Deyarman ...................... May 21, 1889
Carl F. Stoelzel ........................ March 6, 1894
W. S. Hissern ...................... February 18, 1898
W. J. Weirick ..........................April 29, 1908
In the fullness of years and like ripened grain gathered into the garner. Father Adam Ullman, one of the few
remaining pioneer residents of this locality, long a prominent citizen of Loudonville, and a member of the historical
committee, passed peacefully away Monday evening, July 6th, at the venerable age of 89 years, 7 months and 10 days.
A. Ullman, Sr., was born in Alsace, Germany, on November 26th, 1824, his parents being John and Catherine Ullman. The maiden name of the latter was Herzog. Coming to America when their son, Adam, was three and a half years of age they ultimately landed in New York after a voyage of seventy-two days on a sailing vessel. They first settled with a colony of Germans between Canton and Massillon in a locality which became known as Bake Oven. There the wife died and was buried at Canton. In 1833 John Ullman removed to Loudonville. Before coming to Ashland County Mr. Ullman was again married, his second union being with Catherine Derrenberger. By his first union he had five children, and by his
second marriage, ten children. Those of the first marriage were George, John, Margaret and Peter, all of whom have
passed away, and Adam, the subject of this sketch. Mr. Ullman was reared amid the wild scenes and en-
vironments of pioneer life, and resided with his father on the home farm until twenty-one years of age when he came
to Loudonville and established a grocery, conducting the place alone for six years. At the end of that time he sold
out and started for California, attracted by the discovery of gold on the Pacific slope. He went only as far as Louis-
ville, Kentucky, and then returned. He now entered the employ of Aaron Yarnell, a dry goods merchant, who was
conducting a business on the site of the Farmers Bank, of which Mr. Ullman later became one of the chief owners.
He remained with Mr. Yarnell for two years, and then secured a situation with Taylor & Larwell, general mer-
chants, with whom he remained through the ensuing decade. In 1862 he began business on his own account as pro-
prietor of a general store which he conducted successfully for twenty years until 1882, when he traded this and other
property for a farm in Wyandot County, valued at $45,000. It was regarded as the finest farm in the county, and Mr.
Ullman held it for some time but subsequently disposed of it. He now entered various business interests, all of which
felt the stimulus of his co-operation and benefitted by his sound judgment. For about ten years he was engaged in
the clothing business with J. J. Stitzel, and then sold his interest to his son, A. P. Ullman.
On the 6th of May, 1882, he and his son, A. C. Ullman, established a banking business under the name of the
Farmers Bank, of Loudonville, of which the departed has ever since been vice president. From the beginning this
has been regarded as one of the reliable financial institutions of the county. In June, 1903, with other members
of the family he erected the Ullman Hotel, which still bears the name. In all his business affairs he displayed keen
sagacity, sound judgment and sterling honesty. He had an intelligent appreciation of opportunities, which he utilized for the successful conduct of his business affairs.
His energy and careful management brought him to a substantial and gratifying prosperity.
Mr. Ullman made preparations for having a home of his own when twenty-one years of age through his
marriage to Miss Barbara Lambert, also a native of Alsace, Germany. For fifty-five years Mr. and Mrs. Ullman
travelled life's journey happily together and were separated by the death of the wife, who passed away April 22d, 1900.
In their family were eight children, as follows: Caroline, the deceased wife of Michael Scheff; Margaret, who died
at the age of fourteen years; George A., of Bluffton, Ind.; Minnie, wife of W. S. Fisher, of Loudonville; Adam C.,
deceased; Mary, wife of Frederick Arnholt, of Lincoln, Nebraska; Adolph P., of Loudonville; and Normanda, the deceased wife of Herbert Bean.
Mr. Ullman has always been prominently identified with the affairs of his town and community. In his poli-
tical views he has always been a democrat, unfaltering in his allegiance to the party and its principles. He has filled
the offices of township treasurer, township trustee, member of the village council, and also village treasurer, discharg-
ing his duties with promptness and fidelity. Through all the many years of his residence in Loudonville he has been
an active and honored member of Zion's Lutheran church.
He retained a remarkable degree of mental and physical activity to the end. He was conversant with the
early history of this locality, and was a familiar figure on our streets. Mr. Ullman had the distinction of being the
oldest man in Loudonville, and was deeply interested in the preparation for the centennial celebration.
LOUDONVILLE BUSINESS DIRECTORY, 1914
ATTORNEYS-W. W. Scott, H. E. Culberson, W. J. Weirick.
AUTO REPAIRS AND GARAGES-Home Garage, Young Bros.,
C. E. Mowry, W. E. Sprang.
BOOTS AND SHOES-F. M. Petot, C. S. Long, C. F. Goll.
BLACKSMITHS-Graf & Lemmel, Snider & Smith, L. Weickert.
BANKS-Farmers, First National, Citizens Savings.
BARBERS-Mosher & Mosher, C. E. Easley, John Marmet.
CLOTHIERS-Stitzel & Ullman, Strauss & Arnholt.
CONFECTIONERS-C. 0. McGuire, E. G. Moyer & Co.
DRY GOODS-W. S. Fisher & Sons, S. A. Losh & Co.
DRUG STORES-J. W. Covert, H. J. Haudenschild, Mrs. H.S. Stockman.
DENTISTS-E. C. Reed, Smith & Smith.
FURNITURE-T. B. Gilbert, H. G. Spreng Furniture Co.
GROCERIES-D. T. Derrenberger & Son, John Ewald, M. Motz, Workman & Spreng, E. G. Moyer & Co., L. M. Smith, C. W. Strong, Graf & Poff.
HOTELS-Ullman, Sherman House.
HARDWARES-Loudonville Hardware Co., G. F. Raby, F. P. Young.
IMPLEMENTS-G. F. Raby, Rice, Mead & Homan.
JEWELRY-Mrs. James Rollins, Earl Wolf.
LIVERIES-Orra Beard, Roy Robinson, F. P. Young.
LODGES-Hanover No. 115, F. & A. M., Sylvan No. 240, 1.
0. 0. F., Teutonia No. 69, K. of P., Woodman, Maccabees.
MEAT MARKET-G. Weimer & Co.
MANUFACTURERS-Loudonville Grease Co., Kamins Cigars, Fixible Side Car Co.
MARBLE AND MONUMENT DEALERS-Getz Bros.
MILL-Loudonville Mill & Grain Co.
MILLINERY-Mrs. Bess Long, Mrs. M. E. Bartlett, Buffing-ton & Baldner.
NOTIONS-C. B. Stockman.
PHYSICIANS-C. B. Scott, J. A. Lingenfelter, H. A. Schwartz, Neptune & Neptune, J. M. Heyde, G. B. Fuller, S. W. McClain.
PHOTOGRAPHERS-Maude Barton, H. E. Baker.
PIANO DEALER-W. E. Jones & Son.
TIN AND STOVE STORES-Mrs. A. B. Leopold, L. S. Miller, H. E. Yuncher.
TAILORS-A. Tenschert, J. A. Simokat, Alva Kick (drycleaner).
WAREHOUSES-S. S. Nau, Loudonville Mill & Grain Co.
VILLAGE OFFICERS-Mayor, R. F. Andress; Marshal, W. S.Young; Council, 0. D. Culler, President, E. C. Kiplinger, J. A. Helbert, George Walter, W. M. Marks, E.W. Miles.
SUPERINTENDENT OF SCHOOLS-Curtis E. Budd.
VETERINARY-Smalley & Smalley.
Zion's Lutheran, J. H. Kuhlman
Trinity Evangelical (vacant)
St. Peter's Catholic, John Schmidt
Presbyterian, Ira L. Myers
Baptist, C. M. Brodie
Methodist, A. G.Rupert
Lynn McClure Smith
Disclaimer:there may be errors due to transcription
of information from both early and late
(current contributors) work.