Was born in Donegal County, Ireland, in 1788, and immigrated with his parents, and located in Washington County, Pennsylvania, in 1803. He grew up in that County, and married Nancy Morror, of Jefferson county, Ohio, in 1813, and removed to Clearcreek township, Richland county, and located on the southwest quarter of section twelve, in the spring of 1817. He resided on his farm until 1826, when he deceased. He was a member of the Episcopal Church from his youth. At his death his family consisted of his wife, Sarah, Mary, Elizabeth, Hugh, Jane, George, and Moses, of whom only Hugh and Moses survive. Mrs. Elliott died in 1847, aged about sixty years. Mrs. Elliott is believed to have taught the first subscription school, in her own cabin, in Clearcreek Township, in 1817, the parties sending scholars assisting Mr. Elliott to clear his land in payment of tuition. Noblewoman! Hugh, youngest, resides on the old homestead.