Was born in Washington CountyPennsylvania, May 20, 1797. His father, James Robertson, of Scotland, settled in that county about 1794. He removed, with his family to Cross Creek Township, Jefferson County, Ohio, in 1798, where he died. Samuel Robertson, grew to manhood in Jefferson County, and in 1817 visited Milton, Montgomery, and Orange townships, in what is now Ashland County. The Burgetts and Montgomerys, of Milton Township, were friends and acquaintances. In 1817 he worked most of the spring and summer for George Burgett, assisting him in clearing his lands, and in cutting and preparing timber for a new barn. He returned to Jefferson County and remained during the winter. The next spring he was accompanied by Alexander Morrow, a brother-in-law of the late Patrick Elliot, of Clearcreek. Their route was from Cadiz to Coshocton, thence up the Walhonding, to and up Owl creek to Mt. Vernon, thence to Mansfield. For nearly twenty miles south of Mansfield he found only an occasional cabin, and from there to Burgetts an almost unbroken forest. In the fall of 1818 and spring of 1819, he and John Grimes assisted Isaac Charles in preparing a race and dam for a grist-and saw-mill one and a half miles south of the present site of Olivesburgh, on the Black fork. Wages were very low and money very scarce at that period. The pioneers were crowding into Montgomery and the surrounding townships. Cabin raisings and log-rollings were the chief occupation of the new settlers. A wonderful amount of energy and self-sacrifice were expended in assisting the incoming pioneers. The woodman's axe could be heard ringing in every township. Mr. Robertson states that wild game at this period was very numerous, particularly deer and turkey. The leading hunters were Solomon Urie, John McConnell, James Clark, Christopher Mykrantz, and a Mr. Wheeler. In the spring of 1824, he resided in what is now Seneca County, and worked that summer for Mr. Gibson, father of General William H. Gibson, and remembers the organization of the county, and the location of the seat of justice at Tiffin. There was an Indian reservation within the limits of the county and the Senecas, or more properly, Cayugas, were quite numerous, though generally friendly and harmless. He remained there about one year. When he entered the county, in 1824, he is of the opinion that there were only about a dozen or twenty white families in that region, among whom were the Gibsons, Welshes and H. C. Brish, Indian agent. He reached the county by way of Beall's trail, New Haven and Fort Ball. In 1833 he located in the north part of Wayne county, where he cleared a small farm which, in 1837, he sold, and purchased lot one hundred, in Sullivan township, Lorain, now Ashland, county. It was densely covered with tall timber. He cleared and resided upon this farm about eighteen years. He then purchased a new homestead in Orange Township, known as the Linard farm. Here his wife, with whom he had lived very happily for many years, deceased. He afterward sold his farm, and now (1876) resides in Ashland. His family consisted of James, who died in the hospital in United States service in 1863; John, who resides in; Michigan Margaret, wife of Thomas Miller; Rebecca, wife of John Welsh; Mary, wife of Michael Stentz; Isabel, wife of James Campbell, and Sarah Jane, wife of John Crawford. Mr. Robertson has passed through all the pioneer scenes of the county, and still possesses a good deal of physical vigor. His memory seems to be unimpaired, and he may survive many years. Mr. Robertson died about 1878, in Orange Township.