Was born in Jefferson County, Ohio, December 23, 1803. When a young man he located in Orange township, of this county, and removed to Troy in 1857. The township was at that time thinly settled. It was densely timbered, and the pioneers performed a prodigy of labor in removing the forest and preparing fields for culture. His family consisted of six sons and six daughters. Four--two boys and two girls--are dead.
The balance are married and reside mostly within this county. His wife deceased in 1875. He resides at present with a son at Troy center. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church.