Was born in Litchfield County, Connecticut, March 16, 1786. January 1, 1809, he married Sarah Carter, and removed to Richfield, now Summit County, Ohio, in June 1816. Here he improved a small farm, which he sold in 1823, and purchased, in company with Daniel Beach, one section in Ruggles Township, then in Huron County. In August 1823, he erected a cabin, and removed with his wife and children in September. He removed with ox teams, taking along twelve head of cattle and twenty sheep. The following winter he returned to Richfield and purchased a lot of stock hogs, and drove them through the woods to Ruggles. July 4, 1824, three of the four pioneer families of Ruggles celebrated independence at the cabin of Mr. Sturtevant. They had a dinner, and in the evening, for fire-works, attempted to blast a white wood tree, but failed. In 1836 he removed to the village of Milan, Erie County, to give his children the educational advantages of the place. In 1844 he returned to Ruggles, and deceased in May 1871, aged about eighty-five years. He was a man of fixed purposes, highly conscientious in his moral ideas, and a most successful farmer. He engaged largely in raising fine stock, and by good management accumulated a handsome homestead. Like his New England ancestors, he was a Puritan in his religious opinions, and possessed the confidence and esteem of all his neighbors and acquaintances. His children were-Carleton H.; Marcia, married to B. Ashley, of Milan; Harriet, deceased; Sarah, married to Dr. Galpin, of Milan; Isaac G., who resides on the homestead; Martha, married to Horace Taylor, a missionary to India; and William B. Martha was the first female child born in the township-May17, 1825. Isaac G. Sturtevant, from whom we obtained the forgoing particulars, married Adelaide Carter. Carleton H. married Lydia Peck, and William B. married Anna Wolcott. He also states that the first schoolhouse was built in 1824, half a mile west of the residence of Bradford Sturtevant, and was taught by Miss Betsy Sacket, sister of Harvey Sacket. The school was supported by subscription. The scholars were of the families of the Beaches, Sturtevants, and from Greenwich Township, adjoining Ruggles. The first church organization was in 1827. It was Congregational, and Rev. E. T. Woodruff was the first minister. At that time the pioneers attended mill at Cold creek, in Erie County, some forty miles away. They reached the mill on packhorses, by winding paths through a dense forest, finding but few settlers on the way. Two or three years after the arrival of Bradford Sturtevant, the little colony was increased by the arrival of Jacob Roorbach, Harvey Sacket, Justus Barnes, Taylor Peck, Solomon Weston, Aldrich Carver, Norman Carter, James Poag, Abraham Ferris, Albert Buell, George W. Curtiss, Reuben Fox, and others. Isaac G. Sturtevant is a model farmer and stock-grower. He resides about half a mile west of the corners. Adorned by tasteful buildings, select fruit orchards, and good fences, his homestead furnishes proof that the lessons of economy, neatness, and business tact, enforced by the father, are carefully followed and adhered to by the son. He is a genial and intelligent gentleman.