Among the early settlers of what is now Ashland County was William Taylor, who emigrated from Pennsylvania in the year 1822, with his wife, eight sons and one daughter. He arrived at Mansfield in the month of June and remained there until autumn, when he removed to a farm which he had purchased, situated on what is called Honey creek, in Green township, Ashland county, but at that time belonged to Richland county.
He brought with him from Pennsylvania eleven head of horses, three wagons and a set of black smith tools, and quite a number of farming utensils. In 1830 he was elected commissioner, and for several years filled the office of justice of the peace.
After a great many years of hard labor he became the owner of nearly a thousand acres of land, and on which he quite extensively carried on farming and stock raising.
Mr. Taylor was born in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, in the year 1774, and died in 1851. Jane, wife of William Taylor, was born in Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania, in the first year of American independence, and died in 1832. William, their eldest son, in 1828 located in Findlay, Hancock county, Ohio, where he embarked in merchandising, and became quite a prominent business man. He at one time represented his county in the State Legislature. Thomas, the second son, was a farmer, and settled in Wood County, where he remained until death. Levi followed his brother to Hancock County. He began active life on a farm, but was afterwards elected treasurer of his county. James foresaw Horace Greely's advice, and emigrated to Oregon in 1844. He was with the first train that crossed the Rocky Mountains in search of gold, and at one time he was territorial treasurer of Oregon. He has been successful in business and has amassed quite a fortune.
He is at the present time in retired life on the banks of the Columbia River.
Daniel is a farmer, and at present lives in Richland County, Ohio. He is a man of energy and enterprise, and has been successful in life. He was commissioner of his county during the building of the new courthouse. Andrew J. took up his abode in Putnam County, Ohio, and for several years was clerk of the court, and filled the office of probate judge for six years. He now resides in Paulding County, Ohio. Sarah J. McGuire, the only daughter, resides in Green Township, near the old homestead. Judge John, the only son in this county, has most of his life lived on a farm, and always dealt more or less in stock, and in an early day, before railroads in this county, drove a great deal of stock across the Allegheny mountains. He served as justice of the peace for his township for many years, and was elected to the State legislature in 1859, and re-elected in 1861; and in 1875 was elected probate judge, and re-elected in 1878, and holds that position at the present time.