Was born in Lycoming county, Pennsylvania, December 29, 1816, and moved with his father, Job McCarty, to New Lisbon, Columbiana county, Ohio, when young, and resided there until 1826, when they settled in Dalton, Wayne county, Ohio. He began his medical studies in 1829 with Dr. Joseph Watson, of Massillon, Ohio, and continued there until 1833, and then located at Albion, now Ashland county, Ohio, where he continued in practice until 1841, when he attended a full course of lectures at the Ohio Medical college at Cincinnati, and graduated at the Hudson Medical college, Cleveland, in 1846. He continued in practice at Polk, Ohio, until 1863, at which time he was commissioned as assistant surgeon in the army, by Governor John Brough, and remained in the service until the close of the war. At the close of the war, he was examined and commissioned for five years in the regular United States service as surgeon; but declined to remain, and returned to his former locality and again entered into active practice. He has, with the exception of his absence in the army, practiced medicine over forty years in Jackson Township, in this county. He is an attentive observer, a close student, and a successful physician. He possesses inventive talents of a high order, and has patented a number of inventions for the benefit of agriculturists. He has strong tastes for natural science, and has repeatedly delivered a course of lectures before the students of Vermillion institute, of Hayesville. He married Miss Eleanor B. Pancoast, daughter of Hezekiah Pancoast, of Wayne County, in 1836. His family consists of his wife, self and five children, all of whom survive but one son, H.W.McCarty, who died in the army. The doctor is quite vigorous, and may survive many years.