Was born in Somerset County, New Jersey, February 11, 1807. In his youth he attended the country schools of that State, and made fair progress in the elementary branches. At the age of eighteen he was apprenticed to learn the trade of a blacksmith. He also learned, at the same time, the art of making augers. In 1829 he married Miss Sarah Ann Wicoff, and in the spring of 1830, removed to Ashland, Ohio. Upon his arrival he opened a shop and commenced business. In addition to country work, such as shoeing horses, repairing and fitting plows, he ironed many road wagons and carriages, and repaired guns. Being remarkably ingenious in working iron, he was able to turn his hand to many branches of the art. When gas was first introduced into Ashland, he engaged in fitting and preparing burners, pipes and other fixtures, and his books contain drawings showing the labyrinths concealing gas throughout most of the leading buildings and private residences of Ashland. In 1860 he retired from the toil and worries of his trade and entered upon the horticultural business, for which he had strong tastes and many qualifications. He was fond of the study of botany, and his greenhouse gave evidence of his fine taste in the floral kingdom. He also succeeded in introducing many fine varieties of fruit, flowering shrubs, and plants. He was industrious in his researches into the habits of the honeybee, and in fact, took a lively interest in everything that could contribute to the prosperity and happiness of his race. He was extremely fond of the sport of hunting, and generally kept a "pointer" or "setter" of the best blood. Few of the best hunters could excel him in shooting quail or pheasants on the wing. He was particularly successful in ensnaring, in the springtime, wild pigeons, and in taking ducks. He was buoyant in spirit, and a great favorite with his associates. There were but few subjects that he could not illustrate and explain. In 1875, when the State Archaeological society was formed at Mansfield, he became a member, and about the same time he became a member of the Pioneer and Historical society of Ashland County. He took a deep interest in the topics discussed in those organizations. His tastes were strongly military, and in his younger years he was promoted from a company officer to be major of a regiment. He is said to have been a good drill officer, and could he have been educated at an institution such as West Point, would have made an accomplished officer in the engineer department.
He was a strong friend of the school system of Ohio, and when the old academy was under the superintendence of the lamented Lorin Andrews, gave his time and attention to the encouragement of that institution. He was frequently a member of the Ashland council, and was acting as such at his decease. He was also a trustee of the cemetery association and aided in preparing that beautiful site for the dead.
In 1873 his excellent lady deceased, since which time he resided with the younger members of his family.
In 1876 he visited the Centennial at Philadelphia, and upon his return, expressed his gratification and astonishment over the wonders in art and invention beheld by him on exhibition on that occasion.
Early in the winter he was attacked with pneumonia and other complications, and gradually failed until he died, May 21, 1877. He was buried in the cemetery at Ashland.
The usual resolutions were adopted by the obituary committee of the Historical society, of which he was a member