Was born near Wellsville, Columbiana County, Ohio, November 25, 1809. He was of Scotch-Irish descent, his grandfather having emigrated from the north of Ireland, and served as a soldier in the American Revolution. He removed with his father's family to Canaan Township, Wayne County, in the year of 1815. Here he attended the common schools of the neighborhood, and grew to manhood. He studied medicine under the instruction of the late Dr. L. F. Day, of Wooster, in 1828, and attended lectures in Cincinnati, at the Ohio Medical College, in the years 1830-1 and graduated. He practiced medicine in 1831 in company with Dr. Irvine, of Millersburgh, Holmes county, and in the spring of 1832 located in the village of Hayesville, in Ashland county, being the first regular physician who resided in that place. He soon won public confidence, and for a period of twenty years had a large and lucrative practice in Vermillion, Mohican, Green, and Mifflin townships. In 1853 he retired from practice, and devoted his time partly to the mercantile business, but chiefly to agriculture.
He owned a valuable farm in the vicinity of Hayesville, to which he removed, and brought to a high state of culture. He took great pride in the pursuits o agriculture, and was surrounded by all the comforts of a scientific farmer. He married in Hayesville, in 1837, Miss Margaret Cox, daughter of the late Rev. John Cox, of Mansfield, one of the pioneers of Vermillion Township. His family consisted of nine children-six sons and three daughters. Two of his sons are dead.