Was born in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, January 14, 1774. His father had emigrated from Ireland two or three years before the commencement of the American Revolution. He removed, after the close of the war, into Huntington County, and subsequently into Bedford County near the iron works. Here William remained until manhood, and married. In August 1821, he emigrated, with his family, to Richland County, Ohio, landing at Mansfield. He brought with him one five - horse, one four-horse, and one two-horse team. The large team was loaded principally with axes, grubbing hoes, wedges, corn hoes and other necessary tools, and one set of blacksmith tools, which were disposed of to the pioneers at a fair profit. His route was by Pittsburgh, then along Cook's and Beall's trails to Wooster, and thence through Jeromeville, Hayes' cross roads, Petersburg, and to Mansfield along the old state road. In the fall of 1821, he purchased four quarter sections of land enjoining what is now the Carey farm in Green Township. He improved this property, passing through all the struggles of pioneer life, and resided on it until March 7, 1851, when he deceased. This homestead, in point of soil and location, was one of the finest in the county. Mr. Taylor was twice married. His family consisted of eight sons, William, Thomas, Levi, James, Alexander, David, John and Andrew, and one daughter, Sarah, wife of Thomas McGuire, of Green. John has been repeatedly elected justice of the peace, has served two terms in the Ohio legislature, and was elected probate judge in 1875. The family are all deceased but Levi, James, David, John, Andrew and Mrs. McGuire.