From Crawford County, Pennsylvania, settled on the banks of the Lake Fork, in what was then Wayne County, as early as 1810. At that period the Coshocton County line joined Wayne on the south and included the county of Holmes. At the erection of Holmes County, in 1824, the part of Lake Township where Priest located became a part of Washington township, in Holmes County; and at the erection of Ashland County, in 1846, another slice, on the east side of the township, was annexed to Clinton township, Wayne County, leaving Lake one of the smallest townships in Ashland County. Mr. Priest, with his family, located in the spring of the year, and by the aid of Thomas Jelloway, and several other friendly Delaware Indians, put up a plain log cabin and moved into it. His nearest neighbor was Alexander Finley, who had located six miles further up the Lake Fork, at a point now known as Tyler town, in 1809. Mr. Priest was indebted to Mr. Finley for his seen corn for his first crop, and many other favors. His next neighbor was Nathan Odell, who arrived in the spring of 1811, and located in that part of Lake Township, which is now known as Clinton Township, Wayne County. James Loudon Priest died about 1822, at an advanced age.