Of Greentown, whose Indian name was Pamoxet, is first mentioned in the treaty of Fort Industry, on the Maumee River, July 4, 1805. The object of the treaty was the final relinquishment of all Indian title to the lands of the Western Reserve. We are inclined to the opinion that he was a chief of the Turtle tribe, and that he located at Greentown fifteen or sixteen years before Pipe made his residence near the village of Mohican Johnstown. He was there when the first settlers of Green Township commenced the erection of their cabins, in 1808-9; and seemed to exercise a very controlling influence over the Indians of that village, among who were Delawares, Mingoes, Mohawks, and Shawnees. From the year 1800, up to 1812, Knox County furnished a favorite resort for Armstrong and his tribe, in the fall of the year, as a site for hunting. Mr. Banning, in his history of Knox County, says the Indians congregated at Greentown, at the periods mentioned above, numbering from three to five hundred. During the summer seasons, various acts of hostility were attributed to Armstrong's band, of which they were doubtless innocent. Collisions, therefore, between the white settlers of Knox County and the Greentown Indians, became frequent. The major part of the tribe, on the rumor of the approaching war, voluntarily left Greentown; but Armstrong and many others were loath to leave the hunting grounds of their youth--- the graves of their fathers-the homes of their race. So Major Kratzer determined that Armstrong and his people should be removed to Urbana, as before described. At the time James Copus, John Coulter, and Ebenezer Rice, first met Armstrong, he appeared to be about sixty-five years of age; was a small man, slightly stooped, rather dignified and reticent; dressed in full Indian costume, and appeared to advantage. He had two wives; one an old squaw, by whom he had James and Silas, and probably other children. He married a young squaw about 1808, by whom he had children. He frequently visited the first cabin of James Copus, where he made sugar the first spring after his arrival. James and Silas often shot at a mark, with bows and arrows, with James and Wesley Copus, in the sugar camp. They also amused themselves by hopping, wrestling, and other boyish sports. Armstrong had two Indian servants or slaves, both deaf. They were of some other tribe. Armstrong appearing to be a harmless old chief, and treated his pioneer neighbors very kindly. At his request, James Copus preached a number of times to the Greentown Indians. After Douglas removed the Indians, Captain Armstrong settled with the Delawares in the Upper Sandusky region, and never returned to Greentown. The boys, James and Silas, frequently came back. The old chief was a good Indian doctor, and could talk very good English.
His descendants the Armstrongs intermarried with the Delawares and Wyandots, and finally removed, in 1828-29, west of the Mississippi. It is believed that Captain Armstrong was born in Pennsylvania, of white parents, and was captured, when quite young, and adopted by the Delawares, and becoming a leading warrior, was promoted to the office of chief.
There is a current legend among the pioneers of Green township, that Armstrong received his name, when a young man, from a successful contest with a black bear, just prior to his promotion to the chiefship. It runs thus: "Pamoxet was in the forest, hunting. He met and wounded a large black bear. The ferocity of the animal was aroused. It rushed upon him, and in an erect posture, seized his left arm and commenced to lacerate it. His gun being emptied, he seized a bowlder, and when the bear began to gnaw his arm, he used the bowlder upon its head. He soon compelled it to desist, and it fell dead at his feet. The Indians immediately recognized his heroic conduct, and called him Captain Strong Arm, or Armstrong."
He died about the close of the war of 1812-15, on the Delaware reserve.