Was born in Butler country, Pennsylvania, May 23, 1802. He emigrated, with his father's family, in March, 1806, to Stark county, Ohio, where he resided until February 12, 1812, and then removed, by way of Jerome's Place, now Jeromeville, where they remained a few days at the cabin of the late John Carr until Daniel Carter, sr., erected a cabin in Montgomery township, half a mile northeast of the present site of Ashland.
Daniel Carter, sr., had entered at the land office in Canton three hundred and twenty acres of land in Montgomery, constituting the present lands of Peter Thomas, and what was recently known as the John Mason farm. The cabin was a frail affair. It resembled a camp house--was open at one end and made of poles and covered with clapboards. He moved into it in February 12, 1812. The family began active work on a clearing for corn, and got along quietly, being occasionally visited by Indians, until after Hull's surrender at Detroit, on the sixteenth of August. About this time several families quartered a short time at the cabin of Robert Newell, in the lower part of Montgomery, recently known as the Hugh McGuire place. When General Harrison moved his army to the northwest, these families, Frys, Tridrels, Cuppys and Carters, returned to their cabins. In September, after the murders on the Black fork, most of these families fled to the block-house at Jerome's place.
Mr. Daniel Carter, sr., as has been elsewhere stated, took his family to Harrison county, and remained for sometime at the cabin of a friend, Mr. William Rhodes, about four miles from New Philadelphia. In February, 1813 he returned to his cabin and remained until the fifth of March, when he received news of the Colyer excitement near Tylertown, a son of John Carr bringing him news of the appearance of Indians, when he fled with his family to the block-house at Jerome's Place, and remained there until the spring of 1814.
Daniel Carter, jr., retains a vivid recollection of the incidents of block-house life. His father, in the spring of 1814, purchased at Canton the farm upon which David Carter now resides, and removed to it.
The settlers, for several years in Montgomery, were very much scattered. The schools were indifferent, and the youth of that era were deprived of educational opportunities, except in the primary branches. Mr. Carter says he never attended school over three months. He grew up among the pioneers, attending cabin raisings, log rollings and other pioneer gatherings. He purchased one hundred and sixty acres of land on section sixteen, built a cabin and improved his farm. The farm had been entered by William Drumm. In 1829 he married Miss Elizabeth, daughter of Elias Slocum. His family consisted of two daughters -- Amanda, wife of William M. Patterson, of Cleveland, Ohio, and Anna A., wife of Hon. William B. Allison, now a senator of the United States, from Iowa. Mr. Carter sold his farm in 1864, and now resides in Ashland. In 1850 he made a trip to California via. Panama, and remained about three and a half years. He never sought political promotion, but in sentiment was a Whig until that party disbanded, when he became a Republican, and still adheres to the principles of that party.
*He was often elected school director, and was township trustee sixteen or eighteen times, but was always nominated and pressed into the service, against his wishes