Was born in Washington County, Pennsylvania, in the year 1793. He continued to reside in that county until he was about twenty-six years of age. He attended the neighbor schools until he had obtained a fair knowledge of the English branches. His father was a farmer, and had located in the wilds of Washington County after the close of the Revolution, and was of Scotch Irish extraction. Mr. Scott grew up an active, robust, and intelligent young man, and he evinced an inclination to locate amid the forests of the Ohio country, as this state was then called. In October, 1818, he married Miss Matilda Weakley, of Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, and in the spring of 1819 removed to the west part of Vermillion township, Richland (now Ashland,) county, to the land now known as the Joshua Campbell farm, where he purchased some two hundred and twenty acres, erected a cabin, and commenced the arduous task of cutting away the forest to prepare fields for cultivation, and his future home. When he arrived the settlements in Vermillion were vary sparse. When a cabin was to be erected, it required a circuit of many miles to procure hands sufficient to accomplish the tasks. When he commenced his pioneer home, it is believed that Peter and John Vangilder, Joseph Strickland and his sons, William S. and Joseph, William Reed, Mr. Harlan, Mr. Lattimer, George Eckley, Ezra Warner, Ephraim Eckley, Mr. Crabb, Mr. Beabout, Mr. Beck, Mr. Wallace, and a few others, were the only residents of the township. These families were very much scattered, and the only intercourse was in assisting each other in preparing cabins, rolling logs and the like. Mr. Scott continued active operations as a pioneer farmer about twelve years, and then located at Hayes Cross Roads, where the town of Hayesville now stands, in the winter of 1831, and opened a small store. The storeroom was in a log cabin on what is known as Armstrong's corner. He subsequently erected a more substantial building, and entered into partnership with Mr. Daniel Porter, in the dry goods business. Then the new firm was remarkably prosperous, and did an active trade for that day. Mr. Scott was a quiet, clear-headed, far-seeing man, and gave his energies full scope. A want of suitable markets for the surplus products of the pioneer farmers greatly embarrassed them. Mr. Scott became convinced that he could greatly relieve these embarrassments by purchasing the surplus cattle and horses, in driving them to a suitable market. He entered largely into that enterprise and by his promptness; fidelity and shrewd management, not only relieved the farmers to their profit of such stock, but also greatly benefited the firm. At a subsequent date, when Pittsburg, Portland (now Sandusky City), Cleveland and Miland were the only markets for the surplus wheat of the township, which had to be hauled over rough roads at great expense, Mr. Scott came to the rescue of the farmers by erecting a mill in 1847, and converting a large quantity of wheat annually into first class flour. In this, as in all other enterprises, fortune favored the brave. He continued in trade and the mercantile business about thirty years. In the meantime he sold his Armstrong corner to Jacob Kinnaman and purchased, in 1840, what is known as the Francis Graham brick building on the opposite corner south, and continued in business until 1846, when he sold to Messrs. Cox & Higbee, and practically retired from active mercantile business. In 1857 his son Weakley W. entered into business at the old stand and continued several years. Mr. Scott died in 1864. Age seventy-two years, and was buried on a beautiful Indian mound within the corporation of Hayesville, where Mrs. Scott and other members of the family were subsequently interred. Mr. Scott was a large man, full six feet high and of fine appearance. He was calm and dignified in his deportment. He was noted for his business integrity, good judgment, prudence and shrewdness. Very few men have accomplished as much, and none have distributed more benefits in this county. While he regarded business as a businessman, and insisted upon promptness and integrity at all times, he was sympathetic and charitable to a remarkable degree; and while in business never distressed the poor. This excellent trait was rewarded by great fidelity on the part of those whom he befriended, so much so that he was accustomed to state " he rarely lost a cent by trusting a poor man." Mr. Scott left three sons and one daughter at his decease, Mr. W. W. Scott, who resides near Hayesville, John Scott, a lawyer, who resides and practices his profession in Cleveland, Dr. David Scott, who married the only daughter of Governor Allen, and who resides at Fruit Hill, near the city of Chillicothe, and Miss Sidney Scott, of Hayesville. William Scott, a brother of John, sr., immigrated to Vermillion Township in 1822, and resided on what is known as the Michael Helbert farm. He married Miss Edwards, of Mifflin, and died in 1854, aged sixty years. He was distinguished among the pioneers as a fine marksman and a very successful hunter. Many anecdotes are related concerning his adventures.