Was born in Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, July 24, 1799. In 1806, his father, in company with other emigrants, came down the Youghiogheny on a small flatboat to Pittsburg. The family of Mrs. Bryte, mother of John and the late David Bryte, were also in the company. On departing from Pittsburg, they attached the flatboat to one of the river boats, and descended the Ohio to Steubenville, and located about eight miles north west of the village, where they remained until 1809, when John Bailey and family located near New Lisbon and remained until 1816, and removed to Green township, Richland County, and settled near Honey creek. Here the family remained until 1818, when John Bailey, father of Abel, purchased the southwest quarter of section fourteen, in Clearcreek Township, and located upon it. John Bailey and his son, Abel, visited and selected the quarter in 1817, one year prior to the removal. John Bailey, sr., father of John Bailey, jr., who was the father of Abel Bailey, was of English descent, and served during the Revolutionary war, from Rhode Island, and located with his family in Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, where he deceased. John Bailey, father of Abel, died in Richland County, whither he had removed, about 1850. Mrs. Bailey died in Clearcreek at an advanced age. Abel married Miss Acsah, daughter of John Murphy, of Green Township, in 1812, and in 1830 purchased the homestead in Clearcreek Township of his father, and still resides thereon. When the Baileys removed to Clearcreek in 1818, they found the following pioneers in the township; Nathanial Baily, a brother of John who located in 1817, Abraham Huffman, John McWilliams, David Barnes, Isaac Vanmeter, Peter Vanostrand, Robert McBeth, James Haney and his sons, Richard, John and Thomas, Richard and John Freeborn, Thomas Munholland, Patrick Elliott, Jacob Foulk, Thomas Ford and his sons, Elijah, Elias, Thomas and John, and John Bryte. These settlers were much scattered. The roads were mere paths, ill worked, and, in wet seasons, difficult to travel. There were no churches or schoolhouses. There were a few Baptists and Methodists. Their meetings were held in the cabins of the pioneers for several years. The forests of Clearcreek were very dense, and the timber very tall and of unusual size. The first settlers performed a prodigy of labor in its removal. Mr. Bailey says," the tasks was absolutely disheartening." By perseverance, however, fine farms were prepared, and many of the pioneers, now well advanced in age, are living in comfort and plenty. He remembers vividly the scenes, ludicrous and otherwise, that occurred at the early cabin raisings, log rollings, and making roads. Fired by corn whisky, and an exuberance of animal spirits, the rugged pioneers were ambitious to excel in all that tested physical endurance and courage. Very few of the first settlers remain. Many of them have long since been gathered and garnered by the remorseless reaper. Mr. Bailey as long been a member of the Baptist denomination, and assisted in the erection of the first church in Savannah, in 1840. It is a neat frame, and in a good state of preservation. Upon the introduction of the reform of Alexander Campbell, the church was greatly weakened, many of the members having connected with the new church. The Baptist have no regular minister at present. The members number about thirty. The family of Mr. Bailey consists of Eli, of VanWert, Ohio, and John, of Savannah. The daughters are Jane, wife of David Andrews, Ellen, wife of John Smith, and Aletha, wife of Simon Stentz. Mrs. Bailey died in 1873. Mr. Bailey resides on the homestead. He is in good health, and his memory unimpaired. Mr. Bailey relates that when he came to the township in 1818, deer were very plenty, and the hunters could easily procure and abundance of wild meat. The most noted hunters of what is now Ashland County were Edward Wheeler, Elias Ford, James Kuykendall, Christopher Mykrants, Solomon Urie, John McConnel, and Jacob Young, most of whom are now deceased. They hunted along the Vermillion River, The Black River, and on the Fire Lands of the Reserve. At that time, large encampments of Wyandots and Delaware's hunted annually along those streams, and frequently met and conversed with the white hunters. The last deer was killed as late as 1845, within the present limits of Troy Township.