Was born in Baltimore County Maryland, and moved, when young, with his mother to Huntington County, Pennsylvania, in the year 1774. He emigrated to near Canton, Stark County, Ohio, in 1806, and then to what is now Montgomery Township, Ashland, County, in January, 1812, stopping a few days with John Carr, who had a cabin adjoining the farm of Baptiste Jerome, until the erection of his cabin, and entered it with his family in February, 1812. The circumstances attending the erection of his cabin, and its first and second abandonment; his flight to New Philadelphia; his return, and his seeking safety, for several months, for himself and family, at the block house at Jerome's place, now Jeromeville, have been described in former chapters. The death of his wife and son James, has also been spoken of in connection with his residence at the block house. About the time he left the block house he sold the tract of land northeast of the present site of Ashland, to Conrad Kline and John Heller, and purchased four quarters, some two miles south of his original purchase, upon one of which he located, having, in the meantime, married Miss Ruth Warner. Mr. Carter continued to reside on the new purchase until February 7, 1854, when, after a brief illness, he died at the advanced age of eighty years. Mrs. Carter, his second wife, survived him eight or nine years. Mr. Carter was an industrious, frugal and upright man. He had been a very faithful member of the Methodist church for over sixty years. His children, by his first wife, were, John, William, Daniel, Rachel, Elizabeth, James, George, and Anna; by his second, David, Sarah, Mary, Samuel, Miranda, Milton, and Charles. Daniel, David, and Samuel, are residents of Montgomery Township, and three daughters reside within the county. All the rest have moved elsewhere.
Daniel Carter, jr., is a citizen of Ashland. His pioneer experiences are as exciting and interesting as those of any settler of that period. When about eleven years of age, he states his father dispatched him with a sack of shelled corn, on horseback, through the forest, to Odell's mill, in the south part of what is now Lake Township, to have it ground into meal. This was early in the spring of 1812. Pipe and his Delawares had not yet left Mohican Johnstown. On his return in the evening, being belated by the difficulty of winding his way along the Indian paths, he reached the Indian village a little after dark, and seeing a number of Indians collected for a sort of council at the council house, he stopped to witness the performances. It was at this "pow-wow" that the "red-stick," of Tecumseh was rejected by "Old Captain Pipe." He returned to his father's cabin, however, without molestation by the Indians, who, at that time, were on friendly terms with their white neighbors. Mr. Carter relates many adventures, amid the forest, in his youthful days, of thilling character. He married Miss Eliza Slocum, daughter of another leading pioneer of a later period.
David Carter was born March 18, 1815, on the homestead in section twenty-eight, Montgomery Township. He is believed to be the first male child born in Montgomery Township. He married Miss Elizabeth Griffith, of Fayette County, Pennsylvania, December 26, 1837. He resides on the old Carter homestead, and is a farmer by occupation. His children, three, deceased in infancy. He is a man of good natural attainments, and possesses a fund of pioneer experiences.