Was born near Harrisonburgh, Rockingham County, Virginia, December 15, 1797. In his youth he attended a subscription school and studied the elementary branches. In 1812 he volunteered, and served three months in the company of Captain William Harrison, under Colonel Sprangler, at Richmond and Camp Bottom's bridge. After the expiration of his service he was apprenticed and learned the trade of a carpenter and house joiner. About the year 1817 his brother George, and family, removed to Worthington Township, Richland County,Ohio and located near the present site of Newville. He was also a carpenter. In December, 1818, Abraham Armentrout, then a single young man, journeyed on foot from Rockingham County, Virginia, through Cumberland, Maryland, along the pike which had been completed to Wheeling, where he crossed the Ohio river, and continued along Zane's trace to Zanesville, thence up the Licking to Newark, and thence to Mount Vernon, and, by the path leading through Clinton, to Lewis' block house, on the Clear fork, where he found his brother. He married Miss Priscilla Wade, and worked at his trade until about 1821, when he became a farmer, and continued at that occupation until 1840, when he located at Hayesville, in what is now Ashland County. After his arrival in this county he kept a hotel about fourteen years, and, in 1854, became postmaster, and retained the office to the close of the administration of President Buchanan.
In September 1863, Mrs. Amentrout deceased, since which period he has resided in the family of his son, Wade Armentrout, of Hayesville. He is in fair health, and possesses a good deal of physical vigor for a man of his age. The ancestors of Mr. Armentrout were English and German, on his father's side German, and on his mother's English. They settled in Rockingham County about the year 1690. His grandfather, Henry Armentrout, died there in 1792, at an advanced age. His father died in the same county in 1804.George Armentrout located in Worthington Township, Richland County, in 1817, and Philip Armentrout, another brother, in Knox County, near Mount Vernon, and Jacob in Cedar County, Iowa. The descendants of these brothers are quite numerous. The family retains a number of relics of the olden times. Abraham Armentrout has in his possession a copper teakettle, highly finished, which was imported by the family, on the mother's side, from England, about one hundred and fifty years ago. It is in good state of preservation, and quite a curiosity.
The family of Mr. Amemtrout consisted of seven children, three sons and four daughters. Four yet survive, Mrs. Amanda Glass, wife of the late Dr. Samuel Glass, of Ashland, who was born in a little log cabin, twelve by twelve feet, in Worthington Township, Richland County, and rocked in an humble cradle; Alpheus, of Windsor, Richland County, Anseville, wife of Judge John J. Gurley, of Mt. Gilead, Morrow County, and Wade, who resides in Hayesville.