Was born in Washington county, Pennsylvania, January 19, 1810, and emigrated with his parents (Arthur Campbell, sr.,) to Perry township, Wayne, now Ashland, county, Ohio, in May 1815. They came in two wagons, by the way of Steubenville, Canton, and Wooster, then villages, and followed Beall's trail. Mr. Campbell visited his land, which was entered at Canton, in 1814, in the fall of that year, and built a small cabin, stopping with John Raver while doing so. He located on section twenty-three, just southeast of what is now the village of Rowsburgh. When he landed, the pioneers of Perry are believed to have been John Raver, Henry and John Pittinger, David and Daniel Williams, Henry Worst, Cornelius Dorland, Benjamin Emmons, Thomas Johnston, and Samuel Chasey. Joseph Chandler,sr., and two sons, John Cory and father, and John Carr and family, had been in the township a short time prior to the war of 1812, but had returned to the east part of the State, where they remained until the close of the war, and then re-occupied their improvements. The settlers next succeeding Mr. Campbell, are believed to have been: William Adams, John Adams, Hugh Adams, Richard Smalley, Isaac Smalley, John Smalley, Henry Worst, James Dickason, Samuel White, Abraham Ecker, John Keiser, Michael Row, Jacob Shinnabarger, and perhaps others. The spring of the arrival of the family of Mr. Campbell, the Sandusky Indians came down and made sugar near what was afterwards the Hoy farm, at Red Haw, and a few of their poll huts, covered with bark, were left standing. The sap was gathered in bark vessels and boiled in copper kettles. The Indians were then quite peaceable. From 1815 until about 1820, they passed down the old trail once a year, in large numbers, to draw their annuities at Canton. The trail came by the Vermillion lakes, near the residence of the late Jacob Young, in Orange, and ran a southeast course to the cabin of John Raver, half a mile southeast of what is now Rowsburgh, passing by the cabin of Mr. Buckingham, in Montgomery, and thence to the cabin of John Premer, in Chester township, Wayne county, by the cabins of Judge Goodfellow and Adam Shinnaman, Yankee Smith, and across Killbuck, near Wooster. The trail was opened and traveled many years as a wagon road for the pioneers, though destitute of bridges
The first year Mr. Campbell was compelled to visit Knox County, by pack-horses, for corn. The first trip was made in company with Benjamin Emmons. They followed Indians, directed by a small pocket compass, and camped out two nights, serenaded by immense packs of wolves, but were not harmed. After procuring a few sacks of corn it was ground at Shrimplin's mill and carried on pack-saddles, through the forests, to their cabins. Mr. Campbell was greatly mortified to learn, upon his arrival, that his family could not eat the meal. He was compelled to return to Washinton county, with a wagon and three horses, to procure flour enough to last until his first crop had been harvested. In the spring of 1816 John Raver erected a small log mill with nigger-head stones, which did some business in the way of cracking corn. He afterwards added horse power, but the mill did not come up to his expectations. The major part of the pioneers obtained their grists at Stibbs' mill, one mile east of Wooster, until John Pittinger erected, in 1820, what afterwards became the Ecker mill, east of the village of Rowsburgh.
The people were destitute of the means of carrying on schools, but managed, by subscription, to gather their children into a log cabin for instruction, two miles northeast of the present site of Rowsburgh, at a point known as Mt. Hope graveyard. The first teacher was Alexander Smith, and the first school in 1816. The scholars were, John Allison, Alexander Allison, Peter Pittinger, Betsy McMillen, Robert Hillis, William Hillis, John Hillis, Peggy Hillis, Ellen Hillis, John Somerton, Tabor Somerton, Mary Campbell, Charles Campbell, Arthur Campbell, Henry Worst, Lydia Pittinger, and Mary Allison. Very few of these remain. Arthur Campbell speaks well of the school.
The first preaching was in the same school-house, and the first preacher Rev. Cole, about 1817. The first Sabbath-school was organized about the same time, at the same place. The children brought a lunch and remained all day, and were instructed and catechized. It was under the control of the Presbyterians, and Mr. Campbell took a deep interest in it. The congregation and school were small, but increased and flourished for many years.
Arthur Campbell, sr., was the first shoemaker in the township. He generally prepared shoes for his own family, and occasionally made brogans for his neighbors, though not having learned the trade in a regular way. Samuel Neal was the first tanner, and his establishment was carried on near Mt. Hope. A blacksmith arrived in the person of Thomas Andrews. The shop was located in the northwest part of the township, near what is now known as the Hance Hamilton farm. The shop was much frequented; and Mr. Andrews was not only a useful tradesman, but also acted as the first township clerk.
In the erection of the first cabins, almost any pioneer could prepare the clapboards, hew the logs or puncheons, and carry up a corner; but cabins began to improve as the farmers acquired means. Isaac Smalley, about 1817, became the first regular carpenter. He followed the business many years, and instructed a number of apprentices in the art.
In the absence of fulling mills and eastern manufactories, the good mothers made the spinning-wheels hum, night and day, until the flax and wool were prepared for the weaver. Henry Brown was the first wheelright, maker of looms and chairs. He carried on his trade as early as 1817. The woollen goods thus woven were carried to a fulling mill, at Stibb's, near Wooster, fulled and dressed for winter wear.
Justice was first administered by 'Squire Thomas Johnston, who resided in the west part of the township, on what is now the Davault farm. Mr. Johnston, like 'Squire Newell and others, was not noted for his legal lore, but made a good practical officer, dispensing with the dry chaff of forms for the real substance.
The forests abounded in wolves, bear, deer, and other game. The wolves were destructive to sheep, and a premium was offered for their scalps, at Wooster. Mr. Campbell relates that a few weeks after the arrival of his father, in neglecting to shelter his sheep, he lost his whole flock in one night, by the wolves. Their throats were cut in the most scientific manner.
The most noted hunters in Perry were John Jackson and Thomas Pittinger; they ranged the forests for many miles, and killed annually hundreds of bear, deer, wolves and turkeys. They were very successful in trapping wolves, and often visited Wooster to obtain the result of their scalps.
In constructing new roads the pioneers traveled many miles, and were able to do but little more than cut a narrow wagon path. The construction of bridges at public expense was impossible, so that in times of heavy rains and freshets, the larger streams were, for weeks, impassable.
Mr. Campbell relates that some two years after their arrival, Mr. Robert McBeth and family, on their way to Clearcreek township, was delayed by the overflowing of the Muddy and Jerome forks, about three weeks, at his father's cabin.
The first deaths in Perry were Henry Johnston, son of Thomas Johnston, in 1814, of cancer of the lower jaw; James Campbell in 1814, of rheumatism in the foot; and the third death, a son, seven years old, of John Raver, frightened to death by a mouse under his pantaloons leg; he died in spasms some hours after the occurrence.
Arthur Campbell, sr., was killed, August 19, 1819, by the falling of a tree, at the age of forty-five years. A neighbor, Alexander Allison, was present when the accident happened. It was on the premises of John Pittinger. Messrs. Pittinger and Campbell were sitting near a tree conversing, when an oak tree in the clearing, which had been several hours burning, commenced falling. Mr. Allison noticed the falling tree, and instantly notified Campbell and Pittinger of their danger; Pittinger dodged behind a tree near by, but Campbell was struck in the act of rising, by a heavy limb, on the back causing instant death. He left a widow and seven children: Mary, Charles, Arthur, Margaret, Daniel, John, and William. These grew up in Perry Township, and the living are Margaret, William, and Arthur. Mrs. Campbell died in 1865, aged eighty-three years.
Arthur Campbell, jr., married Lydia, daughter of Dr. Abram Ecker, by whom he had eleven children. Mrs. Campbell died in 1871. He married Mary, widow of James Scott, in 1877, and resides in Rowsburgh. Mr. Campbell came into the possession of the home farm, and has been a leading agriculturalist for many years. His children are nearly all grown, some of whom occupy the old homestead near Rowsburgh. He is a large, well-developed man, and would weigh about two hundred pounds, is full six feet high, and is in a good state of preservation, mentally and