Was born in York County, Pennsylvania, in 1777, and about the year 1800 removedto Washington County, Pennsylvania, where he remained until December, 1820. He was of Irish descent. He married in Fayette County. In 1820 he purchased, of his brother Hugh Hamilton, the northeast quarter of section three, in Perry Township, Wayne County, Ohio, and removed to it. He erected a cabin and other buildings, and improved his farm. At that period, the Delaware Indians made annual visitations during the seasons for making sugar and hunting. They were harmless and friendly, and often exchanged the products of the chase for corn and other food. Game was abundant in the forests, and the wolves were very destructive upon sheep, young swine and poultry. A premium was offered for scalps at the county offices in Wooster, and a large number of wolves were caught in traps. By industry, economy and care, Mr. Hamilton soon surrounded himself by all the comforts that result from agriculture. In the year 1834 he undertook the erection of a valuable farmhouse, and in excavating for the cellar, dug down an Indian mound, which stood upon the spot selected. An oak tree grew upon the top of it, which was some two feet in diameter. When the greater part of the mound had been removed they came upon a triangular stake, the upper part of which had decayed. It was embedded in a grayish sand, which Mr. Hamilton proceeded to remove. When he had dug down some two feet, he came upon an Indian skeleton. Continuing to excavate, he soon reached another. Proceeding, he soon came upon a third one of unusual size, which was almost entire. Near it was found a lot of red paint, and a bluish stone somewhat like a scythe stone, highly polished. The thigh bone of the giant was much longer than that of the tallest man in the neighborhood. The inferior maxillary or lower jaw bone would pass over that of the largest person. Here relics were kept several years. There was also another small mound a little east of the former, which was never thoroughly examined. Northeast of these mounds, about one mile, was an ancient intrenchment, square in form, which contained something near an acre of land. It was upon the highest point of land in the neighborhood, and overlooked the valley. It was not a great way from the Muddy fork of the Mohican. These reminiscences of an extinct race are quite interesting, and evince the fact that the occupants of this region not only understood the arts of military defence, but honored their braves by a monument of earth erected over their remains. Mr. Hamilton survived long enough to see his family comfortably situated in life. He was the friend of the Ohio school system, and gave his children all its advantages. He was an active member of the Presbyterian Church for over a half century, and was the uncompromising opponent of every demoralizing vice. He deceased in 1850, at the ripe age of seventy-three years. His family consisted of Ann, John M., William H., Joseph, Daniel K., Mary J., Rebecca J., Alexander and Louisa. Of these, Ann, John M., William H., Joseph and Rebecca, are deceased. The balance of the family reside in Wayne and Ashland counties.