Born at Leadyard, Connecticut in 1793, came to Uniontown, now Ashland, in the winter of 1817. He obtained a good English education, including mathematics and surveying, in the schools of his native village. In the winter of 1817, in company with a cousin Labez Gallup, he came west in a one-horse wagon, and at the end of six weeks travel, over rough roads and amid wintry storms, landed at Cleveland. Here his cousin remained, and Mr. Gallup concluded to locate in Uniontown. His personal appearance in 1817 is remembered by a number of the pioneers. He was a reticent young man, of prepossessing manners, and noted for his intelligence, love of order, and gentlemanly bearing. He taught school five or six successive winters in and about the neighborhood of Ashland. In summer season, having the implements of a surveyor, he was extensively employed in what are now Ashland and Richland counties, in running lines for the pioneers, surveying and locating new roads and the like. In 1822 he married Miss Vilata Pomeroy, and built a house not a great way from the present site of the jail in Ashland. While residing here he opened the first Sabbath school in Uniontown, quite a novelty at the time. The people of the village then attended "Old Hopewell," about one mile west on the Olivesburg road. After disposing of his Uniontown property, Mr. Gallup purchased what is now known as the Fulton farm south of Mr. Andrews, on Mansfield road, where he resided until his death in March 1833. He aided in the survey of a road from Richland County to Detroit, Michigan, about the year 1825-6, and was extensively employed in surveying in every part of Richland County. About the year 1824 he was elected one of the justices of the peace for Montgomery Township, and it is believed was re-elected three terms. As a justice he is well remembered. At that period in history of Montgomery Township, there were a great number of rugged, rollicking, fun loving pioneers. Corn whiskey was very cheap, and was freely used on all public occasions. In fact, there were but few cabins that were without it. It was deemed essential in cold weather to keep up animal heat, and proper in warm weather to keep it down. On election days and other village gatherings, there being only three distilleries in and about town, many of the pioneers became excessively patriotic, and it was not uncommon to see half a dozen well contested pugilistic battles in the streets, and hear any amount of profanity.
It is reported that after Squire Gallup got his count fairly organized, he set to work to reform the obstreperous pugilists. He commenced with moderate fines, and if the same parties reappeared he doubled the amount each time, until fighting became an expensive luxury. In this way he succeeded in checking the noisy fellows who assembled on Saturday evenings to have a spree and a few innocent (?) fights, and go home. Mr. Gallup had served a short time in the year of 1812, in Connecticut; and during his residence in Richland, now Ashland County; he served as brigade inspector of the militia. He was about forty years old at the time of his death. His widow remarried. She resides at Ottawa, Putnam County, Ohio. Her second husband's name is J.R. Clark. Most of these particulars were obtained from Hon. M.E. Gallup, his son, who resides in Strongsville, Ohio, and was born in Ashland.