Was born near Black Rock, Baltimore County, Maryland, May 20th, 1798, and came with his parents to Jefferson County, Ohio, in 1809, where he resided a short time, and removed to Tuscarawas County, and settled near the village of New Philadelphia, and having purchased a piece of wild land at the office in Canton, he came to Perry township, then in Wayne, but now in Ashland Co. He came with his father, Joseph Chandler,sr., and his brothers, Thomas and Robert F. to improve it, in the spring of 1812. The farm was situated about two miles north of the Indian village, then known as Mohican Johnstown. The village contained a council house and about sixty or eighty pole lodges or wigwams, and was located near the old Wyandot trail, and about one mile southwest of the present sight of Jeromeville, and on the west side of the stream. At the same time he found a Frenchman named John Baptiste Jerome living with a squaw, a sister of the chief, George Hamilton, in a neat log cabin near the sight of the present gristmill, at the west end of Main street. Mr. Chandler, in the summer of 1812, worked occasionally for Jerome, and considered him an impulsive, cleaver Frenchman. He had taught his wife to cook and keep house like the white women, and Mr. Chandler regarded as a good housekeeper, considering her opportunities. Jerome seemed much attached to his Indian wife. He formerly lived as a trader in the village, but stated that the warriors got fire- water, and frequently abused him; hence, he cleared a small farm and raised horses and other stock, and cultivated a cornfield on the bottom. He entered one hundred and sixty acres of land, where Jeromeville now stands. He had great numbers of swine, horses and cows running in the forest. If fact, his stock ranged in the woods in great numbers. Jerome had a daughter, aged about 15 years, named Mary or Mollie, who had received her name from a Catholic priest at her baptism, neat Detroit, Michigan. Jerome repeatedly rehearsed his military exploits in the campaigns against Harmar, St. Clair and Wayne, in the presence of the whites, and stated that Captain Pipe and his Delaware's had been in all those battles and glutted their vengeance against the white invaders.
Mr. Chandler thinks there is no doubt of the return of Captain Pipe to Jerome's village, one mile west of the stream, and of his having a wigwam at that point. Where it was pointed out in 1812. Pipe, he thinks, went to the British in the spring of 1812, as was not seen after the war began. His son resided at Greentown, until removed by Captain Douglass. After the assassination of the Zimmer, Ruffner, and Copus families on the Black fork, Jerome's wife and daughter were sent with the Greentown Indians to Urbana, where, during the winter of 1812-13, she and her daughter died from exposure, and Jerome was imprisoned for a short time in the blockhouse at Wooster. Jerome sold the village site, and married another wife, and removed to the mouth of the Huron River, where he died shortly afterwards. In the fall of the year 1812, Joseph Chandler sr. and Sons returned to Tuscarawas county, where they remained until the close of the war, and then re-occupied there cabin in Perry, where his father deceased, May 1815, aged sixty years, leaving a widow and six sons; Thomas, Robert F., Joseph, Shadrac, Jacob, and John; and four daughters; Rebecca, Eleanor, Henrietta, and Alice. Joseph Chandler resided, at the time of his death, on the old homestead. He often alluded to the wonderful change that had occurred in Perry Township since his arrival in 1812, now sixty-eight years ago. First, he states that the first grist-mill was erected by John Raver, in Rowsburg; second, the first school house of round logs was in the west part of Perry; third, the first teacher was John G. Mosier, who died near Ashland in 1856; fourth, the first dry goods store, Michael Row, in Rowsburg; fifth, the first blacksmith, Adam Tener; sixth, the first carpenters, Isac Smalley and James Scott; seventh, the first carding machine, at Rowsburg, by Mr. McConayha; eighth, the first tanner, George McFadden; ninth, the first wagon-maker, Andrew Casebeer, at Buchanan's corners; Tenth, the first church at Mount Hope on Muddy fork; eleventh, the first Presbyterian preacher, Rev. Mr. Brown.
Mr. Chandler has always been a practical farmer, and resided on his father's old homestead. He was an exemplary member of the Methodist church for a period of over forty years, was a good citizen, and noted for his frugality and integrity. His family have all grown, and are much scattered. He saw the country when a wilderness, and has noted its wonderful changes, its wealth and prosperity, and trusted that the descendants of the pioneers would remember the hardships of their parents, and live frugal, moral and useful lives, and preserve the institutions of their fathers, untarnished by corruption and tyranny. He was three times married. In 1825 to Amelia Jones, of Jefferson County, Ohio; she died in 1825. In 1827 he married Elizabeth Farnham, of Knox County. She died in 1850, and was the mother of Lafayette, John, Marion, Joseph, Farnham, and Elizabeth. In 1852 he married Margaret Beattie, of Vermillion Township. The children were Orin, Mitchell, and Franklin. His last wife still survives to mourn his loss. Mr. Chandler suffered but a short time. He had grown great in flesh, and would weigh nearly three hundred pounds. He had been afflicted for several years with a chronic trouble that finally cut short his days. He became a member of the Ashland county Historical Society in 1875, and took a special interest in rehearsing the early times and occurrences in the county. It will be difficult to fill his place in the society, as well as in the community, where he resided. He was a good man, and will be much lamented. Peace to his ashes and rest to his soul.