John Harvey was born in Bedford County, Pennsylvania, in 1810. William Harvey, his father, moved with his wife and three children to Ashland County, Ohio in 1835, and located at Hayesville, where the subject of this sketch kept a tavern for about four years, when he bought a farm in Green Township, known as the Kent farm, and moved there. After residing there ten years he removed to his present home, two miles south of Hayesville.
This farm he has improved handsomely, and now, in the seventieth year of his age, lives in ease, and in his declining years, has but little care. William, his oldest son is married, and lives in Johnson county, Missouri, and was one of Ashland county’s brave soldier boys, having served his country a little over three years; Thomas, Wilson, and Sarah Ann live in Ashland County; Frank, the youngest son is practicing medicine in Mansfield, Ohio.
Mr. Harvey was married to Miss Ruth Culbertson, of Wayne County, in 1838. Mrs. Harvey was born in 1814, and is quite active.