CHURCHES OF ASHLAND COUNTY, OHIO
1. Presbyterian Church of Clearcreek was organized 1 Jul 1833 by Rev Robert Lee
2. Free Presbyterian Church of Savannah was organized 24 Feb 1851 by F.M. Finney
3. United Presbyterian Church was organized in June 1858 by Rev. J.Y. Ashenhurst
4. Associate Reformed Congregation of Savannah was organized in Sep 1831 by Rev. James Johnston
5. Disciple Church or Bryte's Church was organized in
6. Ford's Meeting House - the Thomas Ford cabin was the meeting place for the Methodist Episcopal Church, beginning about 1819
7. Haney's Meeting House, later Methodist Episcopal Church of Savannah - the Methodists initially met at the home of Rev. James Haney, in what is now Savannah, about 1815
8. Baptist Church was erected in what is now Savannah about 1830
1. McKay Methodist Episcopal later Union Church - the Methodist Episcopals erected a building about 1837 in the northeast corner of Green Township near the present village of McKay
2. Greentown Baptist Church or Taylors Corners Church - the Baptists erected a building at Greentown in 1837.
3. Old School Presbyterian Church at Perrysville - about 1818, or perhaps earlier, the Lake Fork and Perrysville Presbyterian congregations united to support a supply minister
4. Council House at Greentown - During the Spring of 1811, the local Native American residents of Greentown and Jeromesville gathered in their council house on the banks of the Black Fork at Greentown
5. Methodist Episcopal Church at Perrysville was organized in Oct 1851 by Rev. Allen Moffit
6. Perrysville Baptist Church - on 26 Aug 1864, forty persons gathered at T.W. Coulter's Hall and organized the Regular Baptist Church of Perrysville
7. St. John's Evangelical Lutheran, Perrysville - on 12 Oct 1842, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Perrysville was organized by Rev. W. Schaeffer
8. Workman German Baptist Church at Loudonville in Green Township was constructed about 1863
9. Evangelical Association, or Albright's Church - the Evangelical Association in the southwest corner of Green Township was organized about 1846.
10. Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church was organized 28 Dec 1884 by Rev. James Sykes in Perrysville
11. Brimstone Chapel - this is noted as the site of an Evangelical German Church.
1. Evangelical Lutheran and German Reformed (Union) - the congregations of the Evangelical, Lutheran and German Reformed, organized themselves about 1839 and built a church in 1846 in the southwest part of Hanover Township
2. Methodist Episcopal at Loudonville - at Loudonville in the spring of 1834, a protracted meeting of the Methodists was held by Rev. Elmore Yocum in an old stone house, owned by Thomas McMahan.
3. Loudonville Baptist Church was organized at Loudonville in May 1839 with eleven members, and Isaac Wolf and John Neptune serving as deacons
4. German Reformed Church at Loudonville - a building erected in Loudonville in 1846 jointly housed the German Reformed and Lutheran congregations until it burned in July 1860
5. Lutheran Church at Loudonville - a building erected in Loudonville in 1846 jointly housed the German Reformed and Lutheran congregations until it burned in July 1860
6. Loudonville Presbyterian Church - this group was organized in 1873 with Rev. Homer Sheely as pastor
7. St. Peter's Catholic Church, Loudonville was built in 1871 of brick, measuring 70 by 40 feet
8. St. Jacob's Lutheran Church - the record book for St. Jacob's Lutheran Church from 1848 to 1880 is held in the Archives of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
9. Loudonville Church of the Brethren, or Plum Run, was organized in 1856.
1. Methodist Church at Perrysburg was built in 1839
2. Methodist Church at Polk was built in 1839
3. Union Society, composed of the German Reformed congregation and the Lutheran congregation in Orange and Jackson townships, organized in the winter of 1829-30
4. Seceder Church was located a half mile west of Lafayette on south line of township
5. Snowbarger's Meeting House - German Baptists - Mr. Snowbarger purchased the building used by the Seceders and donated this to the German Baptists on 29 Sep 1856
6. United Brethren - called Otterheim Chapel - In 1861, a building was constructed near the southwest corner of the township and was called "Otterheim Chapel"
7. German Reformed Church was organized 30 Mar 1851 under the leadership of Rev. Joseph M. Dixon
8. Presbyterian Church of Polk - the Presbyterians in the village of Polk were formerly connected with the Orange Church and organized themselves in 1875, building a nice frame building
9. Mount Pleasant Church - Evangelical Association, or Albright's Church (also called Jackson Class) began meeting in 1860 in the home of John and Lydia Swaisgood
10. St. John's German Reformed Church, later the United Church of Christ, Albion - several families from Jackson Township left the Union Church and built St. John's Reformed Church in 1840 a half mile west of Perrysburg (Albion)
11. Lehman's Church - Evangelical Association - this group met 1 ½ miles south of Polk at the home of Daniel and Mary Lehman as early as 1849. Eventually, a church building was constructed two miles south of Polk
1. Lake Fork Presbyterian - was recognized as a congregation by the Presbytery on 11 Apr 1826.
2. German Lutheran or St. John's Church was dedicated on 23 Nov 1861
3. German Reformed - Old Sixteen Church - the German Reformed congregation took over the Presbyterian Church building in 1860
4. Lakeville Evangelical Association, or Albright's Church - Hope Evangelical Church, or Grimm Home - Rev. Jacob Hassler began to preach at the Grimm home in 1837
5. United Brethren Church, Pleasant Valley - built in 1868
6. Bethesda Evangelical Association - It was dedicated 26 Sep 1863
1. Presbyterian or Mifflin Church - was organized in the summer of 1851
2. Union Church at Mifflin was organized in Mar 1851 by John Lemon, Luke Selby, and Jonas Bolyeat, trustees
3. Evangelical Lutheran or St. Michael's Congregation was the largest organization in the village of Petersburg (Mifflin). Rev. Francis J. Ruth began leading services in Petersburg as early as 1833
4. Church of Jesus Christ at Seymour's Run was organized 12 Mar 1837 at the home of Joseph Arnold
1. German Lutheran Church - built a good frame church about 1840 some four miles southwest of Ashland on the Mansfield road
2. Burns Church - German Baptist - actually met in the Burns school house
3. Brubaker Mennonite Church - was built a half mile northwest of Five Points south of Paradise Hill.
4. United Methodist Church - is located on SR 603 near TR 1528 in the SE 1/4 Section 21 half way between Five Points and Paradise Hill
5. United Brethren in Christ - is a deed, 20 Aug 1858, from Jacob Cotner, to Nathan Hagenbaugh and Jacob Crider, trustees of the United Brethren in Christ Church, for a 48 by 80 foot lot, on which a meeting house was built
6. Chestnut Grove Brethren in Christ (River Brethren) - meeting house was formed by persons who had left the Mennonites at Brubaker's, joining with the new River Brethren immigrants from PA to form a new church
1. Lake Fork Chapel - Methodist Episcopal - stood on the east side of Jerome Fork, a few yards from the county line, and a half mile east of Lake Fork. The building, erected in 1858, measured 28 by 34 feet.
2. United Brethren - called Fairview Chapel was built in 1857
3. United Brethren - called Oak Grove Meeting House (Bethel) built in 1858 on the east line of the township, some three miles north of the Fairview Chapel
4. Old School Presbyterian (Rehoboth), Jeromesville was recognized as a congregation by the Presbytery in 1817.
5. Methodist Episcopal Church, Jeromesville was built in 1820 of logs
6. Trinity Lutheran Church, Jeromesville was organized in 1850 by Rev. George Leiter
7. Disciple Church, Jeromesville was organized in 1854, being transferred from the south line of Perry Twp.
8. Methodist Episcopal, Mohicanville was organized in 1828 under the charge of Rev. Elmer Yocum.
9. German Reformed, Mohicanville was organized in 1859 with Rev. J.J. Excell as pastor
10. Council House, Native American was built on raised ground about a quarter of a mile southeast of the Judge Edmund Ingmand home, and one-fourth mile from the present village of Jeromesville.
1. Evangelical Lutheran and German Reformed - Gierhart Settlement - on the east line of the township was organized in 1838
2. Evangelical Lutheran - Neff Church (later Trinity Lutheran Church) was organized in the fall of 1839 with Rev. W.J. Sloan, pastor
3. German Reformed - Ashland - Rev. Francis Ruth, of the New School, preached alternately with a German Reformed minister, to a small group assembled at the brick schoolhouse in Ashland beginning about 1832.
4. German Baptist (Brethren) or Dickey Church was located three miles southeast of Ashland.
5. Presbyterian - Montgomery, later Hopewell Church - The Old School Presbyterian Church was organized in 1817 calling the church "Montgomery".
6. Methodist Episcopal - meetings were held in 1823 at the residence of John Smith
7. First Presbyterian Church of Ashland was organized 29 Jul 1841 by members of Hopewell Church who wanted a choir as a part of their services.
8. Baptist Church in Ashland began meeting in homes about 1824 with Rev. John Rigdon as their stated minister.
9. Disciples of Christ or Campbellites - John Rigdon and Michael Riddle organized a Disciples Church in Ashland in 1824
10. Ashland City Church of the Brethren (Dunkard) was organized 22 May 1879.
11. Sherradden Methodist Episcopal Church was located in the eastern part of Montgomery Township and was built sometime between 1830 and 1835
12. United Brethren Church, Ashland was organized in 1867.
13. Ashland Evangelical Association, or Albright Church - Emmanuel - Charles Hammer started preaching in Ashland in 1832 in the Campbell home.
14. St. Edward's Catholic Church, Ashland was organized in 1863.
15. German Lutheran Church of Ashland - Peace Evangelical - German Lutherans built a brick church in Ashland at the corner of Broad and Main streets, dedicated 27 Dec 1868
1. German Reformed and Evangelical Lutheran (Union) was built in June 1859
2. North Orange Methodist Episcopal was organized about 1848 with 11 members.
3. Canaan Church (Evangelical Lutheran and German Reformers - Union) was constructed in the summer of 1850 on the farm of Samuel Maxheimer.
4. German Reformed and Methodist Episcopal Church (Union) - The church building used by the German Reformed was built about 1839 on the north line of Orange Township.
5. Old School Presbyterian, Orange was organized about 1834.
6. Methodist Episcopal, Orange - The building of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Orange was begun in 1830 and completed in 1831.
7. United Brethren, Orange was built in 1854.
8. St. Jacob's German Reformed Church, Orange was constructed in 1853
9. Maple Grove or Beighley Church - German Baptist - was organized in 1860 with the meeting house built the same year on land given by John B. Myers.
1. Mount Hope Presbyterian - or Muddy Fork Church was organized in 1820 out of several Presbyterian families who had been meeting since the close of the War of 1812.
2. Methodist Episcopal Church, Rowsburg was organized in 1822 with 12-15 members.
3. English Evangelical Lutheran Church, Rowsburg was organized in January 1842 by Rev. W.J. Sloan and Rev. A.H. Myers.
4. Evangelical Association (Albright) - called Immanuel's at Lafayette (Red Haw) - the class was formed in 1830, by Henry Zimmerman, John Betts, Henry Kiplinger, Henry Shaffer, Nicholas Shaffer, Mr. Swaisgood, and George Walkey.
5. Evangelical Association (Albright) - called Zion's in Moore's (Morr) neighborhood (Trinity Society) - White Church - Rev. Mottinger organized a class in 1832 with Andrew Morr as the first class leader.
6. United Brethren, Rowsburg - served by Rev. Crubaugh and Rev. Dillon in the early 1860's.
7. United Brethren, Lafayette - in the northern part of Perry Township was also served by Rev. Crubaugh and Rev. Dillon in the 1860's.
8. United Brethren Bethel was located on the farm of David Swartz near the south line of Perry Township.
9. Reformed and Lutheran Meng's Mount Zion Church - In a deed dated 6 Aug 1829, Philip and Mariah Meng sold 2 acres in the SE 1/4 Section 33, Perry Township, to Henry Jackson and Conrad Friedline, trustees of the German Lutheran Church and the German Reformed Church.
10. Red Haw United Methodist Church - This church is located in the NE 1/4 Section 3, on the southeast corner of CR 1100 and CR 175.
11. Rowsburg Evangelical (German) - They met in homes from 1832 until abandonment in 1871.
12. Shaffer School Evangelical (German) - This group, noted in the Lafayette Circuit in 1866, was located three miles west of the Trinity (White) Church.
1. Lutheran Church was organized in 1852 by Rev. John Pope.
2. First Congregational Church at Ruggles Centre was organized 11 Jan 1827 with eleven members
3. Methodist Episcopal, Ruggles - In 1837, Rev. J.T. Mitchell of Mount Vernon came to Ruggles once per month and preached either in the house of Hiram Tanner, or in the log schoolhouse. and 4. Mormon Church - Solomon Hancock began preaching from the Book of Mormon at the Meeting House in Ruggles and gained quite a following.
5. Ruggles Baptist Church - formed a short-lived organization in Ruggles Township in the late 1830's.
1. Methodist Episcopal Church - Rev. Jones was pastor of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Sullivan in 1863.
2. Baptist Church was organized about 1830 holding meetings in the Town Hall.
3. Disciples Church was organized about 1835, having seceded from the Baptists, under the leadership of Elder Almond Green and Elder Sutton Hayden.
4. Congregational Church - Rev. Q.M. Bosworth was pastor of the Congregational Church in Sullivan in 1863.
1. Troy Center Methodist Episcopal Church - built a church in Troy (Nova) in the spring of 1850 or 1851.
2. Troy Center United Brethren Church - A United Brethren class was formed in Nov 1852 and worshipped in the Methodist Episcopal Church every other Sunday.
3. Free Will Baptist had a church one mile west of Troy (Nova) but this had been abandoned in 1863, and the group was meeting in the building owned by the United Brethren in Troy.
4. South Troy Union Church was built in 1870 and measured 30 by 45 feet.
1. Eckley's Meeting House - (Union - Methodists and Lutherans) or Newman's - In 1816, a small log church was erected by George Eckley which was used by all denominations at first, but eventually passed to the Lutherans.
2. United Presbyterian Church of Hayesville was organized as early as 1832 as the Associate Congregation of Hayesville.
3. Methodist, Hayesville - built a church of unhewn logs about 1818 upon land owned by Joseph Boyd in 1863, where Mr. Boyd's mill stood.
4. Old School Presbyterian Church of Hayesville was organized in the fall of 1846 with Rev. Benjamin T. Lowe as minister.
5. Baptist Church was built in 1842 according to H.S. Knapp.
6. Methodist Episcopal or Hammond Church, Widowville - a "neat" frame building on the land of McClure Davis about a mile and a half from the south line of the township was built in 1852.
7. Salem Mennonite Church, or German Evangelical - This church in Sect. 5, Vermillion Twp., was founded by John Risser and his wife Catherine, separating from the Five Points group in 1833
8. German Evangelical Lutheran at the Risser Settlement was organized in 1860.
9. Vermillion Bethel, or Synagogue Church of God (Winebrenarian) was organized in 1835, near the east line of Vermillion Township, with about 20 members.
10. Weddel's Corners Baptist Church was organized in 1869.
11. Hershey or Oak Grove Church - German Baptist - in the northwest part of Vermillion Township was purchased from the German Reformed Lutherans about 1870.
12. Pleasant Ridge Mennonite Church - log church was located on the south side of TR 1806 east of CR 1095 (Steam Town Road) one mile west of SR 511
CHURCHES OF ASHLAND TO 1880 BY DENOMINATION
BAPTIST AND CHRISTIAN (DISCIPLE) CHURCHES: