This picture was taken by Geo. Shopbell June 12, 1937. The following article from the Times Gazette of same date will explain all about it. Ashland airport today was being converted into a base for the Republic Steel Company's
fleet of planes to carry food to workers in the company's strike-bound plants at Warren and Niles.
Republic Steel yesterday abandoned the Great Lakes airport on Cleveland's east side, seven hours before the deadline of Mayor Harold H. Burton's order revoking the company's permit to use the field. Revocation of this permit led to leasing of the lacal field.
Dr. George Riebel, president of Ashland Airport, Inc. stated that the field had been leased by the Republic Steel Company. He did not make public the length of time of the lease.
Ashland airport had already been encircled with barbed wire this afternoon, every available roll in Ashland and Olivesburg having been purchased to build the fence.
A high board fence has been built at the entrance to the landing field just back of the airport filling station.
C.M. Tate, who stated he was "engaging the field for private enterprise," is in charge of the activities at the airport.
He would not state that he was an official of the Republic Steel Company, but from other sources it was learned he is acting for the steel company.
Lieut. R. Van Devere of the Ohio National Guard landed his plane at the airport shortly before 1 o'clock.
He stated he was not there on official business, but that he was "just banging around and droped in to see Walter Shuey, manager of the airport.
WORK IN GROVE AT EAST END OF FIELD
The center of activity this afternoon was at the grove, where there was evidence of construction work.
Twenty five carpenters were sought in Ashland this morning by local contractors for work at the airport and there appeared to be that many persons working in the grove at the airport
Although Tate stated there was no plan to construct any buildings, it was learned that a mess hall would be built at the airport, presumably for the guards who will be employed. Reservations have been made at Hotel Otter for a number of men who will be engaged at the airport.
Tate said that provisions of the city's lease with Ashland Airport, Inc. would be obeyed in that the field would be open for goverment and public planes to land and take off. It is regarded as unlikely that any public plane operators would choose to land at the airport with it in a multi-strand barbed wire fence that surrounds the field.
One of the steel company's planes, believed being used only to haul officials, has been using the airport today. None of the food planes had arrived at noon.
Private lelephones lines were installed in what will be the head-quarters at the airport today.
One local poultry producer today had entered into a contract to sell his whole supply to the steel company.
Although the City of Ashland technically has a lease on the airport, it has no control over the landiong field, which is located north of Ashland on U.S. route 250. The $1.00 per year fee for the lease entered into on Ja. 23,1934
has not been paid for sometime.
The city leased the airport in order to obtain CWA aid in improving the landing field.
May 19,1938 - Aviation history was made in Ashland today when Walter Shuey, chief pilot at the local airport,
startd to Cleveland on the first air mail flight from this city. The flight was arranged as a feature of the local observance of national
air mail week. The trip to Cleveland was scheduled to start at 3:10 pm. The picture shows pilot Shuey in his plane and postmaster C.L.D. Hartsel who was in charge of the air mail week
activites in Ashland and in the 17th Ohio district. Use of air mail has shown an increase of about 300% during the observance of air mail week, Hartsel stated.